🍴Chapter 4 🍰

Early sundown hours paints the spring sky tinge of white and saffron. A minute of luring distraction caused his water bottle to overflow. He drew back in hurried steps when the droplets travels down his hands to wet his upper clothes. He screws the cap shut and walk out through the front, stretching his lips into a polite smile as fellow residence pass by.

He took a seat on the stone bench under the shades of red silver maples. Gust of evening wind flickers past and drop a fiery red leaf down his lap, yibo pinch stem and twirls the leaf that’s have fives lobes with tooth edges and angular openings. He slides it into his own pocket and give it a pat. He is going to keep it under the pages of his book like a token of welcome from the nature. Tomorrow marks the first day of his academic year. He already have his bag packed and clothes set , an old habit that’s he mostly likely keep to the grave with him.

He gets up and pats down the back of his pants. However before he can walk back a figure in short distance caught his attention. Gu yulan, the adorable trouble maker is standing by the door of a spotless black car while holding tightly into the action figure of what he assumes a anime or drama character. A few steps ahead of her is her father doctor gu wei who is merrily chatting away with a woman who’s eyes two bright looking at doctor gu it’s brightness might blind the near by.

Yibo approach the little girl with light steps, as he drew near however gu yulan turns back and looks at him with a frown creased between her eyebrows, displeasure make her lips form a tight line. However the moment she realise it’s yibo who is besides her frown drops and she gives him a wave before hickes the action figure up until her lips and nose covered as she did that.

Yibo waves back with a smile and kneels down next to yulan.

"Hello yulan, going home already?"

"Umm."

She clicks her toung, sounding pouty as she look before  shooting a glance at her father who is still engaged in the conversation. Yibo watch the frown forming back on her face and wonders what might’ve cause it.

"Yulan Want’s some cookies?"

Yibo pulls a plastic wrap from his pocket and opens it in front of yulan, who took a curious glance inside. She pursued her lips, tong jutting out as she gulps. She took a peek at her father and gesture yibo closer.

"I eat too much sweets today."

There is a whine In her voice.

"Can gege keeps this as a secret. A-dei would be disappointed if he knows."

Yibo pursued his lips in a smile and nods as he bring three fingers up to his forehead as a salute.

"This will be our little secret."

Yulan flashes him a toothy bright smile and took a cookie with sprinkled chocolates. With a fond eyes, yibo watch her munch it like a chipmunk.

An exaggerated laughter lure their gaze back to where doctor gu standing with the women who is now laughing out loud in a humour that’s not really shared by doctor gu who shifts uncomfortably in his foot when she landed her palm on his shoulder. Gu wei took a step to aside and let the hand slips down from his shoulder which momentarily wipes the smiles out of the woman’s lips. Her hand hovered over the air for a brief moment before it formed a fist along with a tight smile on her lips as she withdrew her hand back.

Yulan grits her pearly teeth’s that’s now have chocolates crumps on it.

"That women is bad. She always touches my A-dei. She wants to steal baba away from yulan and papa."

Yibo was stunned for a moment seeing the innocent fear in yulans eyes.

"Hey. Why would you say that?"