Chapter 45 - Crashing Down.

"I promise, Melo." Chresanto whispered as she kissed Romelo on his forehead. "I'll try to visit you as much as I can."

"But, what i-if they don't like me?" Romelo whined as he smooshed his face into his lower waist.

"Think about it, Melo!" Chresanto smiled as he wiped Romelo's eyes with his thumbs. "You get to have a mommy this time!"

Romelo froze and placed a small smile on his face.

"I get to have a mommy?" Romelo said. "I never had one of those...."

"Yep!" Chresanto cheered. "You get to have a mommy! I know that you would love to have one of those!"

"I always wanted a mommy..."

"Guess what?" Chresanto continued, trying to keep him happy. "How many times do you want me to come see you?"

"Hm. Every weekend!" Romelo said, still crying a little.

"I'll come see you EVERY weekend." Chresanto said as he placed his pinky out. "Promise?"

"Promise." Romelo cheered as he pinky swore with him. "Love you, daddy!"

"I love you too, Romelo." Chresanto said. "I'll never stop loving you."

Day 4 passed and everyone decided to go to sleep for the night. Chresanto on the other hand, was sitting up and watching movies with Romelo. They both decided that they wanted snacks, so Romelo went out to get some chips. He noticed that Mrs. Miner was still driving, indicating that she was in no hurry to take a break. He grabbed a bag of chips, then sat down on the floor. He was still sad about leaving his father. Jacob noticed that he was sitting on the floor, then lifted up in his bed in curiosity.

"What's wrong, Romelo?" Jacob said in a sleepy tone as he looked at them.

"Nothing. Still sad about daddy..." Romelo said in a low tone.

"What happened?" Jacob asked as he sat all the way up in his bed.

"Daddy has to get rid of me." Romelo said as he gave him a puppy dog eyed look. "I have to get a new mommy and daddy at the adopt place..."

Jacob knew exactly what he was talking about. Adoption. He got out of the bed and walked all to the way to the back room, where Chresanto was.

"What's this talk about you getting rid of Romelo?" Jacob asked in a curious tone, holding Romelo's hand.

Chresanto looked at Jacob, then at Romelo as he closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands.

"I'm placing him up for adoption." Chresanto said to Jacob as he shut the door.

"What?!" Jacob gasped as he sat down on the bed. "Why? Why don't you just drop him off with his grandmother?"

"I would, but we're three days out of Wichita." Chresanto sighed. "Mrs. Miner isn't going to drive 3 days back. That's gonna set us so far behind."

"Well, what about Amber?" Jacob asked.

"Amber is a single mother." Chresanto sighed. "She's not about to take 2 extra kids. Not to mention that CJ is an infant."

"Why are you sending Romelo by himself and not sending CJ with him?" Jacob said as he shook her head. "That's pretty foul. That's some demon type shit."

"Zonnique won't let me place him up for adoption. Both parents have to agree." Chresanto said. "I can place Romelo up for adoption, because his mother isn't here."

"Damn...." Jacob said as he looked down at him. "I know that that's a hard decision."

"I don't want him being raised as a runaway. I want him brought up right." Chresanto sighed. "If me placing him up for adoption means that that has to happen, then that's what's gonna happen."