³¹, ᵒⁿᵉ ˢᵗᵉᵖ ᶜˡᵒˢᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ᵉⁿᵈ

The morning sun filters through the cracks in the wooden walls of the shelter, casting faint golden rays on the rough floor. The Glade is stirring to life, the usual sounds of the morning—chatter, footsteps, and the occasional call—beginning to fill the air. But I'm still in bed, the events of last night replaying in my mind as I lie beside Thomas.

The warmth of his body against mine feels comforting, a stark contrast to the cold reality of our situation. I can't deny that last night was a turning point, a release of all the pent-up emotions and frustrations that had been building for so long. And yet, as much as I want to savor this moment, there's a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach, a reminder of the harsh reality we're still facing.

Thomas stirs beside me, his arm draped over my waist, and he murmurs something unintelligible in his sleep. I gently disentangle myself from his embrace, careful not to wake him, and slip out of bed. The room is small and modest, the only furniture being a few makeshift beds and a small table. It's nothing compared to the comfort we had before we were brought here, but it's home for now.

I move quietly through the shelter, heading for the small kitchen area where Frypan is already busy preparing breakfast. The smell of cooking bacon and eggs fills the air, and I can't help but feel a pang of hunger. Frypan looks up and gives me a nod as I enter, his face breaking into a warm smile.

"Morning, Esme," he says, his voice cheerful despite the early hour. "How'd you sleep?"

I return his smile, though it feels a bit forced. "Morning, Frypan. I slept well, thanks. Everything alright here?"

He nods, flipping a few pancakes on the griddle. "Yeah, all's good. Just trying to get some food ready before we start planning for the day. We've got a lot to do."

I nod in agreement and grab a mug of coffee from the counter, taking a sip as I watch Frypan work. The aroma of the food is soothing, a brief respite from the chaos of our situation. But even as I try to enjoy the moment, my mind drifts back to Thomas and the conversation we had last night.

I'm still unsure about everything. Last night was intense, and though it was what I needed, I can't ignore the bigger issues at hand. We need to escape the Maze, find answers, and survive, and the romantic entanglement only complicates things further.

As if on cue, Thomas appears in the doorway, looking slightly disheveled but much more awake. His eyes meet mine, and there's a softness in his gaze that makes my heart skip a beat. He makes his way over, his hand brushing lightly against my arm as he greets Frypan.

"Morning," he says, his voice warm and familiar.

"Morning," I reply, trying to keep my tone casual. "Breakfast smells great."

Thomas nods and takes a seat at the small table. I follow suit, sitting down beside him. As we eat, there's a comfortable silence between us, but it's charged with unspoken words and lingering tension. I can feel the weight of our previous conversations hanging in the air, but neither of us brings it up. Instead, we focus on the simple act of eating and the occasional exchange of glances.

Eventually, Newt, Minho, and a few others join us, their faces reflecting the same mixture of exhaustion and determination that I feel. The conversations are light, though there's an underlying sense of urgency as we prepare for the day ahead.

Newt, ever the leader, takes charge of the conversation as he lays out the plans. "Alright, listen up. We've got to finalize our escape plan. We need to make sure everyone is on the same page before we head out."

There's a murmur of agreement from the group, and I can see the resolve in their eyes. We've been through so much together, and this is our chance to finally get out of this nightmare. But the gravity of the situation is not lost on any of us. We know the risks, and we know that not everyone might make it out alive.

As Newt continues to talk, I feel Thomas's hand find mine under the table, giving it a reassuring squeeze. I glance at him, and he gives me a small smile, though his eyes are still clouded with concern. I squeeze his hand back, trying to offer the same comfort and strength he's giving me.

The meeting continues, with everyone contributing their thoughts and ideas. There's a growing sense of camaraderie, a feeling that we're all in this together and that we can face whatever comes our way. Even with the uncertainty and danger, there's a glimmer of hope—a belief that we can escape, that we can find freedom and answers.

Once the meeting wraps up, Thomas and I head outside, making our way to the designated meeting spot for the runners. The sun is now high in the sky, and the heat is starting to build. I can feel the sweat on my skin as we walk, but the warmth is a welcome change from the chill of the night.

As we reach the spot, Minho and the others are already there, discussing the day's tasks. Minho gives me a nod as I approach, and there's a hint of a smile on his face. Despite everything, there's still a bond between us, a shared understanding of the challenges we're facing.

"Morning, Esme," Minho says, his tone friendly. "Ready for another day of running?"

I return his smile, though it's tinged with weariness. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Thomas stands beside me, his presence a steadying influence. I glance at him, and he meets my gaze with a look of determination. It's clear that despite the complications of our relationship, he's committed to this mission, committed to finding a way out.

As the group starts to move, preparing for the day's activities, I find myself feeling a renewed sense of purpose. The previous night was a turning point, but now it's time to focus on the task at hand. We have a plan, and we need to execute it with precision and care.

Thomas gives me one last reassuring glance before we separate for our respective tasks. I can't help but feel a mix of emotions—hope, anxiety, love, and determination. We're all in this together, and we need to stay focused if we want to make it out alive.

As I head to the Maze with Minho and the others, I try to push aside the doubts and fears that linger in the back of my mind. We have a chance to escape, to find freedom and answers, and I'm determined to see it through. No matter what happens, we'll face it together.

The Maze looms ahead, its towering walls a constant reminder of the challenges we face. But with each step I take, I remind myself of why we're doing this—why we have to keep fighting, keep pushing forward. For freedom, for answers, and for each other.