Chapter 14: Headmistress

After parting with Tifa, Bella and Sylvie, Soren walked through the Academy on his way to the Headmistresses office. The inside of the school was more rustic and beautiful than Soren had imagined. The walls and pillars were made of ancient stone with dragons and other magical creatures carved into them. The walls also had various types of artwork hanging from them with pictures of dragons, animals, landscapes and portraits of past teachers and students. The glass windows were so clear that it looked as if there was no glass there. In between many of the pillars were statues of various animals and people in all kinds of attire like knights and mages.

Soren climbed the staircase to the top floor of the Academy. In the middle of the hallway were two massively tall doors of smooth wood. Both doors had golden knockers in the lower center, right in front of his face. Soren used one of the knockers. "Enter!", said a voice from the other side.

Soren opened the door and poked his head inside the room. "Excuse me, Headmistress? May I come in?", he asked.

The Headmistress was sitting at her large wooden desk writing in a book. "Of course, come in. I'll be right with you", she answered.

Soren closed the door behind him as he walked into the room. The Headmistresses office was a very large room. There was a tall but thin bookshelf on the right side of the room in the corner, small statues and antiques were placed all over the room. At the top of the walls were portraits of all the previous school heads either standing with are riding their dragons. There were two large windows behind the desk and standing between the windows was a single wall with a portrait of the headmistress standing in front of her dragon. Soren had seen this dragon before when the Headmistress came to visit him and his family back home a little while after learning of his Dragon Voice power. He looked at the picture and remembered when he first met it. The dragon was larger than his fathers dragon, Nightwing. It's scales were covered in a beautiful green. It's four legs were thick with sharp talons, it's two wings had one spike sticking out of the top, two green horns at the top of its head, the spikes on both back sides of its head were attached together with a thin layer of skin than flowed when the wind blew that looked like fins and along the back of its neck was a long fin-like sail that moved in the wind. The dragon was certainly intimidating, but Soren could sense its gentle nature.

Soren looked down at the headmistress as she closed the book she was writing in and looked back at Soren. "Hello, Headmistress Lydia. It's very nice to see you again", said Soren.

The Headmistress stood up from her desk, walked over to Soren and stood right in front of him. She stood a good few feet taller than Soren and had a very intimidating glare on her face. She looked down at Soren and smiled. "Would you stop with the formalities and give me a hug already?"

Soren smiled back at the headmistress and threw his arms around her, enveloping her in a big hug. She laughed as she hugged him back. "I missed you, Aunt Lydia".

"I missed you too, Soren. You've grown into such a handsome young man".

The Headmistress of Dragon Rider Academy was Sorens aunt, Lydia Albion. She was his father older sister. Lydia attended the Academy 2 years before Nathan did. While at the Academy, she and her dragon, Maliath, quickly rose through the ranks at the school. Excelling in magic, combat and riding, Lydia quickly became the top student at the Academy. After graduating she was presented with a green bladed sword of Dragonsteel that she named Glandrac, she traveled the world as an Adventurer for a few years until she was offered the position as Headmistress at Dragon Rider Academy. Loving the idea of training future generations of Riders, she took the job without hesitation. It made it all the more better for her when her nieces and nephew were chosen by dragon eggs.

After they finished hugging, Lydia gestured that her nephew take a seat on one of the chairs in front of her desk. Soren sat down as his aunt sat back down at her desk. "So, how did you like my speech at the ceremony?", Lydia asked.