Loading Up

We drive over a bridge that rises above train tracks and then onto main street. This short strip is the busiest part of Whitefish, and yet it's completely empty. I'm still getting used to it. The days before the war are seeming farther and farther away.

I try to think back to those wretched weeks, even though they send chills up my spine.

I was sixteen at the time, and sprinted home from school when sirens started blaring and I was out at lunch. The school went on lockdown, but I ran home anyways. Dad was at his lab and Mom was at home, crying as the news channel explained New York was under nuclear attack. World War III was just beginning. I didn't fully understand it until the attacks grew stronger. But then, something backfired and the entire world went quiet.

Everything was soaked in radiation. The world was turned into a desolate planet in just weeks.

"Maddy?" Rose says softly and I snap my head up.

"Yeah?"
 "What are you thinking about?" Rose frowns. She already knows.

"Just... About... It all, really" I have trouble explaining with all of the emotions swimming in my head.

"Me too" She puts a cool hand on mine. "It's okay. We'll be okay."
 I nod and turn to look at the buildings on main street. Most of the windows are broken. People must have already raided the town for supplies when everything was going down. Hopefully there's at least a little left for us... 
 Rose parks in front of a hair salon and we slowly get out, surveying our surroundings. It seems safe, but I also have this strange feeling, like there are other people here with us.

"Should we go in?" I motion to the salon.

"No, we need to get necessities for you know... survival." Rose rolls her eyes.

 "Um... shampoo and conditioner" I pull open the door, "Unless you want to turn into a greaseball" I tease and Rose actually laughs, following me inside.

I still feel weird taking from a store without buying it first. I guiltily walk out of the shop, arms full of lavender scented hair products and lotions.

I toss them on the floor of the front seat and we continue on our search for supplies. Within an hour, we've gone through all fifteen stores and filled the entire car with a plethora of items. I grabbed gardening tools, seeds, and even a massive bag of soil which Rose had to help me carry all through the store. We also found toiletries, clothes, a huge stack of books, a few packs of batteries and more random items.

"Should we head home?" I ask as I squish into the cramped car.

"Yeah. We can go to the grocery store next. There's got to be at least a little food left", Rose explains and starts the car. I put in one of the new CD's I found and we blast music on the ride back.

***

When we get to the cabin everything looks the same, but feels different. I just can't place the hunch I'm getting. I dig inside my backpack to make sure my gun is in there and that the safety is on. Carrying this thing makes me anxious.

Rose parks the car as close to the cabin as possible and we begin the process of unloading everything and bringing it inside. When we're finished, the cabin is more colorful and much less claustrophobic. I even hang a small painting of an ocean with palm trees. I love the beach. Maybe one day we'll even go to it if we get tired of this place...

"Hey, Maddy", Rose says while digging in her bag, "I got you something."

"Ooooooh" I laugh and then gasp as she hands me a polaroid camera and a blank stack of film.

"This is amazing" I gawk and gently take it from her, not wanting to break it. 

Rose smiles. "I thought you would like it".

"I love it". I hug her and then open the camera, placing the film inside. "Let's take a picture".

I hold the camera out as far as I can and try to keep my hand still, then snap the photograph once we're both smiling. I set the camera on the table while the tiny picture prints out.

"Did you still want to check out the grocery store?" I ask as I watch the picture fade into focus. 

"Yeah, we should get everything while we can", Rose thinks for a moment, "There could be other people, like us, trying to stock up on food."

"Yeah, maybe", I shrug.

"Aw, look" I pull Rose beside me and hold out the photograph in my palm. I look so similar to her that we could be twins. Our blue eyes, raised eyebrows, high cheekbones and pink lips are exactly the same. The only difference I see is that I have Mom's dark auburn hair and she has Dad's chocolate locks.

"I'm really glad I have you" I say as I grab a pushpin from the drawer, hanging the picture on the wall beside the kitchen table. I'll have to find more film next time we go back to main street. I can already tell I'm going to take a lot of pictures.

Rose reaches for a pen off of the counter and writes on the bottom of the photo. I lean closer to read, "First Day Outside". She gives me a hug, "Today is special".

I nod. Today really is. We've been through so much and being able to go outside again... We did it. We survived the end of the world.