Chapter 28

New Years! I love New Years so much. The countdown, ball drop, New Years kiss. Very exciting. Especially at Shelby's. Her parents decorate the entire house with decorated little balls, like Easter with eggs. And they also decorate the walls with 'A New Start!' quotes. And they do all of this right after Christmas for a week. Also, before midnight, we all go through our New Years revolutions.

I invited Sean before he left at Christmas and he gladly accepted to come over. So now I'm making the dinner. Since we only have their family, Sean, possibly Ken, and me, I don't need help. You confused about Ken?

Apparently, he told Shelby that he was going to try to come over but not to get her hopes up. Dad is probably keeping a tight leash on them all now.

"You going to be nervous all night?" I ask Shelby when she walks into the kitchen.

"Nah, I'm just pretending like he's not coming." She says casually, but adds," but it would be amazing if he did show up!" I shake my head smiling as I add the spice. She giggles at my response and sits down at the dining table. We talk for a half hour until dinner is ready.

I call everyone to dinner including Sean and we all sit down at the table joining Shelby. We talk excitedly the entire time about the new year and going back to school for second semester. I laugh the entire time despite my mood for the past week.

I've been moping around the house as I can't see Tommy and Caden for a while. I haven't thought of any new plans yet, so I'm hoping they have. I really want to see my little brothers.

Once everyone is finished eating, they go out to the living room to start watching the New Years countdown. I stay in the kitchen with Sean to make snacks for the night. We get some popcorn ready, candy, and a lot of other store bought treats.

"Hey." Sean says behind me. I turn to smile at him, but instead I'm met with a blinding flash. I almost fall backwards, but am caught by a pair of arms. I glare at Sean standing up who smiles, obviously amused.

"I told you I need to be ready for the picture." I tell him. He's been taking unexpected pictures of me since Christmas and it's getting annoying. He always uses the flash.

"Why? It's so cute when you freak out." He says with an adorable pouty face. I take the camera from him and use his confused expression as an advantage. I snap a picture of him with the flash and now it's his turn to freak out. Luckily, he doesn't almost fall like me, because I really doubt that I could catch him.

I look at the picture and burst out laughing. His eyebrows are up with wide eyes and his mouth his hanging open. "We have to use this." I say referring to the scrapbook. He snatches the camera and looks at the picture.

"No!" I laugh again at his horrified expression and he glares at me. He deletes the picture earning a very sad look from me. He ignores it though, picking up food to take to the living room.

We all sit down around the coffee table with about three hours to go. We've gotten through about a third of the snacks which means we'll have extra afterwards. I curl up next to Sean, which is very hard because of the baby, while listening to someone perform on the tv.

Wyatt is talking about the performer who I have no idea is, and don't really care. It shows people cheering and I could never stand in that cold weather. They all wear scarves and mittens and I shiver at the thought.

Suddenly, the baby starts kicking for the third time this day and I close my eyes feeling it. Sean doesn't notice as he joins in with Wyatt. I look over at Shelby who is already passed out on the couch. Lightweight. We'll have to wake her up or she'll kill us. Their parents are in the kitchen now drinking, but their too smart to get drunk, so it doesn't concern me.