Chapter 9

-May 16, 1820-

This was getting ridiculous. He was brooding worse than her nieces did when they were denied a lollipop.

Pen tried to concentrate on her dance partner and enjoy the ball, but it felt like every time she got spun around, she got caught up in Colin Bridgerton's dark, intense glare. And it was irritating her immensely.

It wasn't her bloody fault that he had arrived to the ball late. It also wasn't her fault that her dance call was full by the time he approached her. It wasn't like she was interested in most of the men, after all.

The past few weeks had many ups and downs. There had been many couples of the ton getting engaged and married, which made some men increase their attentions, seeking to find their own match by the rapidly approaching end of the season. Unfortunately, the increased attentions came from men seeking practical matches, men Pen had already dismissed in her own mind but still had to dance with as polite society dictated.

Colin had visited her bedroom at midnight three more times. They had been as passionate and uninhibited as the other sessions, the intensity making Pen leave the bed quickly afterwards, even as Colin attempted to kiss and cuddle her in the afterglow. He often hinted for more frequent visits when they danced at balls, but Pen resisted the temptation. It was hard enough to keep her emotions under control as it was.

Unfortunately, the more she tried to keep her distance, the more he hovered near her at balls. The more he watched her every move. It almost outweighed the small pleasures she had at these events, like dancing with the men she was interested in, like her current partner.

There was finally a break in the dancing, and Pen gladly accepted a glass of champagne from Mr. Worthington. "Thank you," she murmured.

"We deserve it," he commented, after taking a sip from his own glass. "That was a fast dance."

She really wanted to get to know him better. "Is your family staying in town this season?"

He shook his head. "My older brother, the Baron, prefers voting by proxy unless major issues are being decided in the House of Lords. He's quite content living in the country."

"Do you spend much time out there?" Pen asked.

"I have some interests in the city that keep me here except for the height of summer," he replied with a smile.

"You do not hunt in the fall?" Colin stepped up to Mr. Worthington's side.

The other man was surprised at Colin pushing himself into their conversation, but Pen was not. He had been doing this more often at balls lately. It was most vexing. She sent him an angry glare.

Mr. Worthington was too polite to not respond to Colin, and the two men got into a conversation that did not include Pen very much. It was especially irritating since the musicians were resuming their seats after their break, and she would soon be dancing with some other man. She would lose the chance to talk with Worthington on her own.

"Mr. Bridgerton," Lady Danbury said sharply, stepping up to his side. "Tell me, is your mother here tonight?"

That made Colin jump, and he even had the grace to look slightly guilty. "Um, good evening. No, she is dining with my sister and the Duke."

"Oh, yes. She does enjoy spending time with her grandchildren as well. Perhaps I shall call on her tomorrow, and let her know of anything she missed here," Lady Danbury said with a stern look.

Colin's eyes widened at that, and he hastily bowed to each of them and excused himself.

Pen watched him move away with a sense of relief. She turned to the older woman, and said a quiet "Thank you."