Chapter 19

Before Pete could wake up, I found myself make plans most days because I was afraid that if I spent too much time with him, I'd freak out and ask him about what he had talked about with Gabe. And I didn't want him to think I was insane. I wasn't even supposed to feel like this, I wasn't supposed to think about what he would think of me. I was supposed to be comfortable with him and be able to ask him about this without feeling annoying or clingly or jealous. But I simply couldn't so I tried not to be around him too much.

Today, I knew he had plans as well though so I had called Olivia early so I could have breakfast with Erik while Pete worked with Gabe. Or whatever he did with Gabe, whatever they talked about. I took a deep breath and parked my car around the corner and walked to Erik's apartment building. I rang the door bell with his name and the door buzzed. My heels clicked on the stairs as I walked up to his flat.

"Haven't seen you in a while, you're mostly working from home lately" he said as he hugged me for a greeting. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I can't always call the babysitter for Brook." "But today you have." I nodded. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I'm just so stressed" I said, walking past him into the flat. He closed the door and followed me into the living room. "I thought we were going somewhere, you didn't need to do all that!" I said as I saw he had prepared breakfast. He shrugged. "Well, I was up early, thought it'd be nicer. And cheaper." I smiled and nodded, sitting down and putting my purse away. He smiled and sat down as well. "What's stressing you?" he asked and poured some coffee into a mug for me. "Thank you" I said and drank a sip before explaining. "Well, there's so much with the wedding and I'm trying not to think about it." He put the coffee down and his eyes widened. "But why? Is something wrong between you and Pete?" I bit my bottom lip and shrugged. "No, not really, I just ... I don't know..." "Aren't you looking forward to the wedding?" "No, I am" I said and felt myself smile. Because I was, honestly I was excited for the wedding and I was looking forward to it. But there was something in the back of my head that I just couldn't put my finger on.

"So you need more time to think about it? Do you feel it's too soon?" he kept asking. I closed my eyes for a second, then opened them again, shrugging once more. "I guess. It's just that I feel like ... there's something I'm missing, something that's not right with all of this. I mean, they're already planning the bachelorette party when I'm not even sure!" The words just came bursting out of me without me intending for my voice to rise or allow myself to confess what I had just spoken out loud. Erik raised his eyebrows. "You're not sure? How come?" I gasped, surprised by myself. I was right. I wasn't sure. I was in pure shock. "I don't know" I whispered. "There's something." "Charlie, you have to tell him, you can't leave him in the dark like this if you have these sorts of feelings." This couldn't be true. "Maybe I just need to have a good party before getting into this, that's probably it" I said. "No, Charlie, that's probably not it, if it makes you feel like this, there has to be more to it." "Don't you want me to get married?" "I want you to do what you're comfortable with!" he said, raising his hands in front of his chest in defense because I was in defense mode too now. I was so confused. "Maybe I should go back home." "To talk to Pete?" he asked, his voice was a little higher now. I got up and grabbed my purse, approaching the door. Erik followed me. "Charlie!" "Yes, yes, to talk to Pete, you're right" I babbled and opened the door. "Thanks for the coffee" I mumbled and hurried down the stairs and out of the building, around the corner to the car and out of the street.

Once I had driven through the city for a while without forming the clear thought I had been hoping for, I stopped in a parking lot and got out of the car. I lit a cigarette and finished it as slowly as I could. I didn't want to go home and talk to Pete, I would freak and he'd think I was some sort of crazy bitch. I didn't want to talk to anybody because as soon as I said a word about Pete, I was being analyzed and I didn't want to face any of those theories. I couldn't. What was wrong with me? Had I not gotten everything I had ever wanted? Why was I ruining it?

When I got back home, there were two notes on the floor. One from Pete, telling me to have a good day and that he was with Patrick because apparently he had needed to talk and one from Olivia, telling me that she had taken Brook to the zoo. I picked them up and threw them away, then made myself a drink, not caring that it was early in the morning. I needed something and if it was going to be two vodka shots then so be it. I sat in the backyard and tanned a little, having another smoke and just letting the sun burn down on me.

After about an hour, I heard voices coming in so I took off my sunglasses and made my way back inside. Pete and Patrick entered the house and Patrick really didn't look so good which is probably why he went straight for my bottle of vodka in the kitchen, took a shot glass and sat on the couch with his two discoveries. "Everything okay?" I asked, grabbing a jumper of Pete's to cover up a little. Patrick nodded and to disagree with himself downed three shots, seemingly without taking breaths in between. I sat down beside him. "Are you sure?" "No. I may have fucked up my marriage." I gasped and my eyes widened. I put my arm around Patrick and he leaned into my shoulder. I smiled weakly and stroked his back, looking up at Pete. He showed thumbs up at me, then disappeared into the kitchen.

The front door opened again after a few minutes of me comforting Patrick and Pete doing something in the kitchen and Olivia came in with Brook. "Oh, you're both home" she said as she spotted me in the living and Pete in the kitchen. She carried Brook inside and put her down on the couch in her maxicosi. "Oh, hi. I don't believe we've met. I'm Olivia" she said carefully, not wanting to be impolite but also not wanting to intrude Patrick's privacy while he looked like he had just seen a ghost. "Should I stay or...?" she asked me after shaking Patrick's hand. I believed she knew who he was anyway.

"Charlie, can I talk to you for a second?" Pete called from the kitchen. "Maybe just for a moment" I said to Olivia and she nodded, sitting down between Brook and Patrick on the sofa. I hurried across the living room and into the kitchen where Pete sat on a stool, sipping on a coke. "What's up?" I asked. I felt like I hadn't talked properly to him in ages and that felt wrong but then I remembered why. "You know how Mandy and Sofia are planning your bachelorette party and Gabe, Travie and Andy are planning mine and Travie was wondering if we had any limits?" I raised one eyebrow. "What? You mean like is it cool if you go to a strip club?" He ran his fingers through his hair nervously and shrugged. "Um ... yeah, I mean, I guess..." "I'm pretty sure Sofia said something about a strip club so I guess it's cool as long as you don't shove your tongue down some stripper's throat" I said and shrugged. He nodded slowly. "Same for you." I shook my head with a slight smile. "Obviously. So what's the deal with Patrick?" "He's pretty sure that he's getting a divorce, it's pretty bad." "What happened?" "He hasn't really told me in details himself, he just needed some distraction today I guess so I went over to his place, then took him here but it doesn't look like he's up for any fun or distraction, does he?" I shook my head. "No, not really."

We came back out where Olivia and Patrick were both just heading for the door. "Should I drive you home?" Pete asked Patrick. "I can do it" Olivia quickly said. "Turns out it's on the way to my place." Pete nodded. "Alright, cool. Call me if you need anything, man." Patrick smiled weakly and hugged Pete, then he hugged me and the two of them left.

What if this was going to influence Pete's thoughts on getting married? What if he would not want to get married anymore because he had seen his own marriage go down before and now Patrick's? Was this going to have consequences? I mean, of course, it was awful for Patrick as well and I was going to be there for him but I was also worried about if Pete maybe would call off the wedding and I was also worried about what I would think about that.