Chapter 11 - Conviction

The rhythmic sound of basketballs dribbling against the hardwood filled the air, accompanied by the occasional squeak of sneakers sliding across the polished court. It was late afternoon, the golden hour casting long shadows through the high windows of the college gymnasium. The players were nearing the end of practice, their movements a mix of exhaustion and muscle memory after hours of drills.

Aiah stood at the three-point line, her face glistening with sweat. She focused on the rim, blocking out everything else. Her breathing was steady, her heartbeat rhythmic, synced with the familiar repetition of her shooting form. She bounced the ball once, twice, before setting her feet, releasing the shot. Swish. The ball sailed through the net cleanly.

It had been a month since her confrontation with Colet, but it felt like an eternity. The memory of their conversation still echoed in her mind. Aiah hadn't expected things to change so drastically between them, yet here they were—distant and quiet, almost like strangers who played the same game but lived in different worlds. Their connection, once full of warmth and unspoken understanding, now felt like a thin thread, barely holding.

Aiah wiped her brow with the back of her hand and picked up another ball from the rack. The silence between her and Colet hadn't been discussed or acknowledged by either of them, and that only made it worse. It was like they had silently agreed to this distance, both too stubborn or too hurt to break the barrier that had grown between them.

She bent her knees, lifted her arms, and let the ball fly again. This time it bounced off the rim, missing the mark by inches. A frustrated sigh escaped her lips, but she quickly pushed it down. Basketball had always been her escape—a place where emotions could be channeled into focus, where the noise of life could be drowned out by the simple sound of the ball hitting the floor. But even the court couldn't offer her full relief from the unresolved tension that lingered between her and Colet.

It was as if every shot she took, every drill she completed, was haunted by the conversation they never had. The one where she could ask Colet if what they had meant something—or if it had all been in her head. But that moment never came. Instead, they moved in the same circles on the court, close but worlds apart.

Aiah shook her head, determined to shift her focus. The season was still in full swing, and the team needed her at her best. There wasn't time for emotional distractions, not with the next game looming and their opponents more dangerous than ever. She squared her shoulders, setting her feet once more at the three-point line. The ball left her hands in a perfect arc.

This time, the swish felt more satisfying.

Her thoughts, however, refused to follow suit, trailing back to Colet despite her best efforts. As the final whistle blew and Coach Emerson called the team over for a briefing, Aiah let out a breath. The tension between her and Colet might have been put on hold, but it wasn't gone. She knew it would surface again—it was only a matter of time.

For now, all she could do was keep playing, hoping the game could offer her some sense of clarity where life seemed to fail.

The gym felt quieter now, the earlier sounds of bouncing basketballs and muffled chatter fading into the background as the team huddled together. They were sweaty, exhausted from practice, but no one dared show any signs of fatigue. Everyone was locked in, eyes fixed on Coach Emerson as he stood in front of the whiteboard.

The board was cluttered with diagrams, arrows pointing to positions, and scrawled notes detailing their next opponent. The numbers "11-0" were circled in red, standing out like a warning sign.

Coach Emerson clapped his hands, the sharp sound snapping the players to full attention. "Alright, team, listen up," he began, his voice cutting through the stillness. "We've had a solid season so far—8 wins, 3 losses. That's good, but not enough. Not if we want to go all the way. Our next game? It's a big one. Bigger than anything we've faced so far."