CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1: The Awakening

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm glow over the sprawling estate of the Xu family. Xia Lin moved through the bustling halls, her hands deftly arranging the flowers in the grand foyer, but her mind was elsewhere. In a world where characters had their roles, she was merely a background figure—a cannon fodder destined to be overlooked and discarded.

Every day felt like a repetition of the same mundane tasks, an endless cycle of serving the noble Xu Luanyo and his illustrious family. She had accepted her fate long ago, knowing that her life was scripted within the pages of the novel she unknowingly inhabited. As a servant, she was meant to sacrifice herself for the sake of the protagonists, and that thought weighed heavily on her heart.

But today was different. Today, something stirred within her—a spark of defiance that had long been dormant. As she trimmed the last rose, a sudden surge of energy coursed through her, and the world around her shifted. The thoughts of those around her flooded her mind, a cacophony of emotions and desires intermingling with her own.

*“I can’t stand this anymore…”* a servant thought, her frustration palpable. *“If only we could rise against them…”*

Xia Lin froze, her hands trembling as the realization hit her. She could hear them—feel their thoughts as if they were her own. It was a power she had never known existed. The weight of her existence felt lighter, and yet the responsibility that came with this newfound ability pressed down on her.

“Xia Lin!” a voice called, breaking her concentration. It was Mei, the head maid, her expression stern. “What are you daydreaming about? Get back to work!”

“Yes, Mei,” Xia Lin replied, shaking off the lingering echoes of the other servants’ minds. She resumed her duties, but the thoughts continued to swirl around her, urging her to listen, to act.

As the day wore on, she couldn’t escape the nagging feeling that she was meant for more than just servitude. The whispers of rebellion were growing louder, and each thought she overheard strengthened her resolve. What if she could help them? What if she could change the fate that had been written for her?

That evening, as the household settled into a false sense of peace, Xia Lin found herself alone in the garden. The moonlight bathed the flowers in silvery hues, and the night air was thick with possibility. She closed her eyes, focusing on the whispers that had become a part of her.

Suddenly, a rustling sound broke the silence. Xia Lin opened her eyes to see Xu Luanyo standing at the edge of the garden, his striking features illuminated by the moonlight. He looked lost in thought, a rare glimpse of vulnerability in his usually composed demeanor.

“What are you doing here, Xia Lin?” he asked, his voice low and curious.

Caught off guard, she stammered, “I— I was just… tending to the garden.”

His gaze pierced through her, as if he could see the turmoil within. “You’re not just a servant, are you?”

Her heart raced at his words. Did he sense her power? Before she could respond, he stepped closer, lowering his voice. “I’ve heard the murmurs of discontent among the servants. You’re not the only one who feels trapped.”

Xia Lin’s breath hitched. “You know about the rebellion?”

He nodded, a flicker of determination in his eyes. “I want to do something about it. And I think you can help.”

In that moment, everything changed. The weight of her existence shifted, and for the first time, Xia Lin felt a sense of purpose. She wasn’t just cannon fodder; she had the power to be a catalyst for change.

“Together, we can ignite a spark,” he continued, a fire igniting in his voice. “Will you join me?”

Xia Lin’s heart raced as she met his gaze, the path ahead uncertain but filled with promise. “Yes,” she whispered, her voice steady. “I will.”

And so, under the watchful moon, the seeds of rebellion began to take root, intertwining the fates of Xia Lin and Xu Luanyo as they stood on the precipice of a revolution.