Chapter 1

My name is Adam, an average kid. Good grades, good family life. I've traveled a lot. That's my story, nothing really interesting. My friend Jaki, she has a very different story. She moved here from Maine two years ago. Her dads a drunk and her mom works to cope with stress. Jaki is horrible in school, the teachers like her enough. She's failed at least four classes in a row, and when I asked her why. She shrugged, saying she felt like it wasn't worth her time.
I was dumbfounded, how was I even friends with this girl! I loved school. Thought there wasn't anything more important. That is until about a year ago she told me her secret. Why she didn't try in school.
She told me she was a shifter, as in a shapeshifter. Like something straight out of the X-Men comics. I shook my head laughing. Before my eyes I saw her change, her limbs growing long and strong. Mouth elongating, a tail flashed out from behind her. She was a grey wolf, and this sent my little Yorkie tearing off into the yard barking her head off. There was a bright light and when I had stopped rubbing my eyes she was again sitting before me on the porch.
Like the true poet I was,"cool." Was the only word that escaped my mouth.
"I'm glad you think so, do you know how to ride?" She asked, standing at wiping the dirt from her jeans.
I couldn't even blink but I stood as well, "Ride?"
She rolled her eyes a little, "A horse?"
"Uh, a little?" She must have remembered that time I went to camp.
She smiled, and fear climbed up my spine. Not many people knew her, but bad things tended to happen when she made that face.
"Your turning eighteen In August?" She asked, her black hair swaying in the slight breeze.
"I just turned seventeen like two weeks ago." I whined a little bit.
"I know, I was there." She giggled.
I shook my head, going along with her,"Yes."
"Well, tell your parents you want to be a jockey." She replied, looking off into the stars.
"Why?" I snapped, she was kind of freaking me out.
She looked sidelong at me, her blue eyes electric with excitement,"Because, Adam Brewer, I want to make history."