Chapter 3 - The End before the Beginning

Two figures sat poised, hand in hand on a rustic wooden bench. Courtesy of the early spring months, mites had begun burrowing themselves into the bench's rickety frame, the legs were dotted with small holes that made the already uncomfortable bench even more perilous to perch on. But it was for that exact reason that our two stars were able to share a beautiful moment of peace together observing the wonder of nature around them. The pleasing whistle of the soft spring breeze shifting between the trees that sat on the other side of the path across from them. The radiant golden glow of the sun at its peak showered the world in a golden glow, acting as a spotlight for the rare cherry blossoms that would fall from overhead and twirl like graceful dancers intertwined with one another. The beauty complimented the peaceful atmosphere around them and brought a serene feeling of calm to the only two passive observers to the scene.

Even so, the tranquillity seemed to hold a sense of fragility. All beauty would eventually perish and the peaceful world around them would eventually be razed to the ground. It was best to appreciate these moments when they came along.

"These last two years have gone by way too quickly," one of they observers hummed, shortly followed by a contented sigh. They seemed to be basking in the light of the sun. They shone like a goddess. "It feels like just yesterday you showed up at the company's doors; nervous as a wreck and frail enough that a passing breeze could have sent you drifting away like a petal." She finished with an airy chuckle, a smile gracing her flawless features with the edges of her eyes just barely crinkling as it reached her eyes, causing them to sparkle like the numerous stars which would litter the sky in the absence of the sun.

A response came with a voice carrying both soft inflection and an air of fondness: "I would be a lot worse right now if it weren't for you Sangah-ssi", a slight increase in the pressure felt by the other where their hands met said a lot more than mere words ever could "Thank You".

A short pause followed in the absence of their short conversation. But it wasn't awkward, they simply relishing in each other's presences. It was nice to have someone you could let your guard down around.

The man spoke again, the barest hint of teasing hidden in his silky voice. "It's a shame someone stole your bike though. Maybe Mr. Han just got impatient."

Even so, the smile on Yoo Sangah's face remained present, if only her eyes seemed slightly darker. "It doesn't bother me Dokja-ssi. I'll just take the subway with you today!"

Dokja seemed elated at that. He really enjoyed spending time with the person who made him feel like it was okay to live, and it was fine for him to be loved. He has caught himself thinking of his younger self with pity recently. He has never felt the warm all-encompassing love that the woman next to him now gave out in waves. It wasn't suffocating. Like his favourite blanket he would curl under to hide away from the world and get lost between the words on a page.

She made him feel safe.

Yoo Sangah on the other hand, had a weird look of apprehension and concern in her eyes that had been present since she arrived at the office in the morning. Dokja brushed it off. 'She must just have a lot of reports to finish today.'

Remaining time until paywall: 6 hours

OoOoOoOo

Sangah had woke up today with one goal : Confess to Kim Dokja.

Simple really. But in retrospect... She frowned at the foolishness of her past self. She was more nervous now than she had been when she first woke up in a new world full of people she didn't know, with no idea how she got there.

She was petrified.

It didn't help that the object of her affections was none other than the antisocial, affection-starved reader that is Kim Dokja, who would most likely ask her if there was anything wrong with her before even thinking about accepting her confession. But she had to do it now because as soon as the apocalypse begins, he'll have Yoo Junghyeok and[The Fourth Wall] and he'll isolate himself just like in the novel. She couldn't let that happen.