17. Jacaerys

As gruesome as Vaemond's fate is, Jace can't help but wonder if, in some twisted way, his great-uncle had been the lucky one. Being spared from the tense and forced gathering of their joint Targaryen-Velaryon-Hightower dinner seemed more like a blessing than a curse, even if it meant death.

They all sat around a long wooden table, brought together by duty rather than desire. It's a scene Jace never imagined he'd witness again after their move to Dragonstone years ago, yet here they are-- assembled at the behest of his grandsire. No one dares refuse Viserys, even though the air between them holds unresolved conflicts and bitterness.

Each family keeps to themselves, exchanging vexed glances with the other. The servants are the only ones who move freely among them, filling cups and laying out platters for the coming feast. Musicians and House Targaryen guards remain at the far corners of the room. It's not until Viserys arrives, carried in by guards on a plush chair, that anyone bothers to wear a smile-- though all are forced, never touching their eyes. The king is set at the center of the table, a frail bridge between Alicent and Jace's mother, an attempt to hold together what had long been shattered.

"How good it is to see you all tonight. Together," Viserys says with a smile, his decaying teeth bared as he scans the room with his one eye.

Alicent mirrors his expression, though hers lacks warmth. "Prayer before we begin?" she offers.

Viserys nods, and the room shifts. He bows his head and closes his eyes, as do the Hightowers, and Jace's aunt and uncles. Aegon gives a lazy dip of his head, while Aemond plays the role of dutiful son, closing his eye and clasping his hands with a reverence that feels almost practiced. Jace fights the urge to scoff at their outward displays of piety, but he lowers his head nonetheless-- more out of respect for the gods than anything. He, too, favors the Seven and offers his own prayer outside of the queen's sanctimonious one.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

The prayer's effect ripples across the table. Daemon smirks, still pleased with his handiwork, while Otto shakes his head in disapproval. Jace remains indifferent-- Vaemond never meant much to him. Even as a boy, he wished for the man's suffering. Still, he feels sympathy for Baela and Rhaena, especially Baela, who spent the most time with Vaemond on Driftmark. He offered his condolences to them both after the execution, but he knew it was lacking. He also has yet to speak to his grandmother to offer her the same. Rhaenys refused to join them for dinner, choosing instead to oversee Vaemond's body as it's prepared for transport to Driftmark for a proper burial at sea.

Despite his sympathy for them all, Jace also feels a dark sense of relief. With Vaemond gone, no one can challenge Luke's claim now. He imagines a future small council, with him as king and Luke as his master of ships, and it makes him happy, with no guilt to be found.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems," Viserys declares, his voice weak yet hopeful. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses."

Jace glances at Luke, who exchanges a warm smile with Rhaena. Jace tries to share a similar moment with Baela, but it feels empty, and when she turns away, his attention drifts across the room to Miara. She stands over his mother's shoulder, near the far wall, watchful and unreadable as ever. The Cargyll twins flank her, their eyes fixed on the king, while Miara's gaze protectively sweeps over his family.

Jace recalls Miara's words to him earlier-- her counsel on how he can't afford to show hesitation when it comes to Baela. He wonders if she approves of how he's handling it, if she can see that he's trying to follow her advice. He hopes she's impressed by his efforts and takes it as a silent apology for his actions the previous day. She usually forgives him when he actually listens to what she has to say.