Chapter Thirty(Sage's POV)

A/N: So like three parts are going to be in Sage's POV, because it works better. And because I got about a page and a half into this chapter, completely forgetting it was supposed to be in Liam's and I don't want to rewrite it all. 

I shooed Liam back out the window in a record amount of time compared to how long it took to actually get him inside. He shot me a quick thumbs up, mouthing "I love you!" through the glass, before disappearing around the side of the building. 

Fiddling with the end of my shirt, I shuffled over to the door, wrapping my hand around the cool knob, that had been unlocked, apparently by the guard on the other side. He tilted his head suspiciously, his eyes being hidden from view with the stupid black glasses my father forced all guards in the castle to wear as part of their uniform. 

"Sorry princess, I didn't mean to interrupt you. But I think you heard me, your father wants you and Liam in the main hall, dressed nicely, in approximately an hour. I'll send Jay to get you when the time is ready, okay?"

I froze at the mention of that prick's name, but I nodded stiffly regardless, muttering a quick thanks before slamming the door shut in the guards face. Spinning around, I pressed my back to the hard surface, shutting my eyes and taking deep breaths in and out.

Anything could happen in an hour. One of the big possibilities would be they would do something with Liam. When I say do something I mean either kick him out of the castle and find me a new 'husband'. Or, they could also do what they did with other violators of castle rules and regulations; throw them straight into the royal prison. Which I sure as hell didn't want for him, especially since they wouldn't take me with him, being part of the royal family and all. 

Another thing that they could do to him would be to punish him. Which, that also might involve me. Punish us to our rooms forever. Give us limited food. Treat us like pinned up dogs. Anything could happen in the matter of punishment. 

But one thing I didn't think would even be on my father's mind was compromise. That he possibly listened to my reasoning, listening to my thoughts, found out from my brothers how strongly I hated the arranged marriage rule, despite it finding the person I loved more than anything. There was still the thought lurking in my mind that my future daughters, my brother's future daughters, wouldn't find the right person like I did. And then they would be stuck with that person the rest of their lives. Tortured internally. Trapped. Confined.

It hurt my heart and shredded it to a million pieces just with the thought looming in my mind.

My father could have listened to me though. He could set Liam free. Or set Liam free and allow me to go with him. He could have decided to change the century old rule to fit modern day times, to free me and every other girl in the kingdom to come from the confined trap they were set in from the second they were born. We could walk in there and say the words, "Sage, Liam, pack your bags. You are allowed to move back to London, or where ever you please. There is nothing stopping you any longer."

But that thought was faint. Distant. Didn't have much of a chance. Need less to say, I was expecting the worst from the situation.

Shaking my head, I broke out of my deep thought, using the palms of my hands to shove me up off the door, propelling me toward my still open closet in the corner. The words dress nice sunk into my mind, and I had an urge deep within me to rebel again, like I did with my basketball socks and tennis shoes. Yet, there was another part of me that was done fighting. I had done what I could do, and nothing would change my father's mind either way anymore.