Prologue

Valka Haddock, wife to the Chief Stoick the Vast, ran through the village in search for her husband. The village of Berk was in the middle of a dragon raid, flames ate at the timber of houses and barns, dragons stole cattle and fired projectiles of lava and magnesium, Vikings ran with weapons held high and a shield by their sides. The woman panted breathlessly with her hair flying behind her with the skirts of her nightgown, with only a cloak to conceal her underdressed state and still, Valka ran as fast as she could. Valka, had dropped off her son at the blacksmiths, not trusting the house to be completely safe during a raid; their son was five years old and named Hiccup, a small boy who had a knack for pulling on beards and a little too curious for his fathers tastes.
The boy had come into the world early, and was feared he wouldn't survive his first winter on Berk, but the boy had a strong will to keep going and lived. Hiccup, was a spliting image of his mother, brown russet hair and big, bright, green eyes filled with wonder, he also took some traits from his father Stoick the Vast; a large, mountainous man with a huge red beard and one of the most stubborn Vikings on the island, his son had taken on his stubborness and it was causing his father headaches.
Valka gripped onto her husbands sword, who had left it at the house in the rush to give orders to the villagers. She sprinted to the village square where she found her husband fighting a Deadly Nadder that flew away shortly after she arrived.
"Stoick!" Valka called
Stoick turned to see his wife standing there holding his sword. What is she doing in the middle of a dragon raid in her nightgown?
"Valka, what are you doing out here?" he asked.
"You left your sword at home" she replied.
Stoick chuckled at that. "I can always rely on you to make sure i'm fully equipped with weapons. Where's Hiccup?"
"I dropped him off at the forge with Gobber."
"Get Hiccup, and get back to the house. You'll be safe there" Valka placed a soft kiss on his lips and retrieved her son from the forge and ran back home. But, as soon as they entered the house, Valka heard somone call her name in warning.
"Valka! Watch out"
A Stormcutter, perched itself on the house and blow out a breath of fire on the building. She slammed the door shut, picked up her son and ran upstairs to Hiccup's room. She sat the boy down on the bed and hugged him tight. They sat like that in embrace for a few minutes until the roof started to be torn into pieces by claws. When a small hole had been shaped a slick and small ivory black dragon slithered through and landed on its paws with ease. The Mother clutched her son tighter and stared in horror at the dragon, breathing heavily and with panic, the dragon heard the heavy breathing and climbed onto the foot of the bed clumsily and made itself comfortable by sitting down. The Mother and son stared at the dragon, and dragon did the same.
Hiccup, stared into the dragons eyes and saw curiosity. The same kind of curiosity he had. Hiccup slipped out Valka's grip and crawled slowly and carefully towards the black dragon, with his hand held out. The dragon eyed the hand with caution and when it deemed it safe, it placed its head against it. Valka witnessed the event and saw it was proof of everything she believed; Valka had refused to kill dragons, believing that there was more to them, than meets the eye. Seeing that the small black dragon wasn't going to hurt her son she made her way over to them, mesmorised by the bond that they established.
The beauty was shattered when the Stormcutter poked its head through the hole and used its claws to rip the opening bigger so it could fit through. Valka let out a little scream and grabbed her son, pulling him back into her chest. The large four-winged dragon dropped in and stood next to the small black dragon. The Stormcutter's eyes were wide and calm, as it sniffed the mother and child cowering on the bed, the large dragon then got one of its claws from the tips of its wings and hovered it in front of Hiccup. The small child then extended his arm with great caution and grasped the claw in his tiny hand. The Stormcutter, gave out a soft gurgling purr from the back of its throat and guided the claw towards Hiccup and placed a gentle poke on his nose. The child giggled. The small black dragon walked further up the bed and nudged its head into the boys stomach; Valka had relaxed greatly seeing that the dragons meant no harm.
Suddenly, an axe flew threw the air, almost decapitating the large dragon. The Stormcutter retracted its claw from the child, resulting a small scratch on the little boys chin, it then released a burst of flames at the attacker which was Stoick. Valka jumped off the bed and grabbed a sword off the wall and pointed it at the large dragon, ready to defend herself if she needed to. Hiccup was still on the bed curled into a ball clutching his chin where the the Stormcutter had cut it, the black dragon stared at the boy with worry, it had grown fond of the human child and wanted to protect it, and seeing it in pain and surrounded by danger, the dragon had come to a decision.
Valka stood to one side of the room watching her husband Stoick cornering the dragon and was about to deliver the death blow until-
"MOMMY!"
Both parents turned to see their son being carried of in the small claws of the black dragon.
"Hiccup!" screamed Valka, trying to grab the child before the dragon flew out of the house through the hole it created. Seeing the distraction, the large dragon took off after the black one leaving the parents grief-stricken and helpless as they watched their one and only son being taken away from them.
Never to be seen or heard from again.