Prologue

My first attempt at a fanfiction, whoop.

Chapters will be short at first, but they'll get longer.

(Update: Changed a few things that were bugging me)

*~*~*~*

[December 21]

"...M-mom?"

The fire blazes and sparks smolder on the blacktop.

"Dad?"

A window shatters. An alarm blares. Lights flash in the distance.

"How could this..."

A child on the sidewalk falls to his knees and his arms move to cover his face. His shoulders tremble.

"Why?"

A large figure emerges from behind the burning house and quickly approaches the little boy. "Poor, poor child," the man says, and the kid looks up, eyes glittering with tears.

"P-please, sir, my p-parents are still inside..." the boy sniffles.

"Your parents are dead, Ken," the man says, grinning behind his hockey mask, "And you know what?"

He tosses a used match onto the ground at the child's feet.

"I killed them."

*~*~*~*

Kaneki awakens with a start, his chest rising and falling in rapid succession. The room around him is dark, painfully dark, and something cold is wrapped around both his wrists. After attempting to stand up, he finds that his limbs are bound to a stake.

"H-hello..?" Kaneki says softly.

After a few seconds, a light flickers on. A sinister-looking man stands beneath the wavering glow, his lips twisted into a smile.

"Welcome to our hobby room, Kaneki," the man says, "I hope we'll have fun together."