IX: An Unlikely Unison

[Mikasa]

"Bastard."
"Lowlife."
"Screw-up."
"Bully."
"Reject."

I stare straight ahead, my eyebrows creased in pure frustration and anger as I fold my arms tightly around my chest. My legs rest on the top of my desk, like ninety percent of the time. I yawn, boredom consuming my body with one big drape of its covers.
I've already been in this room a goddamn hour, yet it feels like I've been stuck in here for days. Weeks, even. I roll my eyes, ignoring the brown haired and bruised boy beside me, sneering as I pull out a familiarly small box from the waste band of my jeans. I'm so glad that there's no teacher in here.
I flip open the cardboard lid, pulling out a small white rod with rich, black tobacco in the middle. I sigh, pulling the cigarette up to my lips. I bring a lighter out of my bra, taking a small second to ignite the damn thing, and immediately set fire to the easily flammable item sitting in between my lips. I feel my throat itch in anticipation, just waiting for the rich smoke to enter my lungs.
I suddenly feel a pair of eyes on me, and turn to see the new kid staring right in my direction. I scowl once again, multitasking as I put the items back in their original places. I don't stop staring at him.
"The fuck're you staring at, small fry?" I ask, holding the cigarette between my fingers as I let a drag of rich, black fog escape from deep within my throat. The boy shakes his head.
Silence engulfs us.
"...Why do you do it?"
My attention is briefly averted to him. I take a long drag of my cigarette.
"What? Smoke?" He nods his head. I arch my eyebrows.
"Because I fucking want to." I snap. The boy sighs.
"...You could be a little nicer you know? I only asked a damn question..." The boy huffs, and I find myself screwing my nose up at him.
"Why would I be nice to you?"
"Because I haven't done anything wrong and you're just being a half-assing bitch?" I glare at him, watching him carefully as his eyebrows crease in frustration. I stand abruptly from my flimsy wooden seat, almost knocking it over. I stalk over to him, looming over him like an animal hunting its prey, and I snarl.
"Look, bright eyes. I suggest you shut your mouth before this half-assing bitch shoves that comment up your nose and chokes you to death." I say. He looks at me grumpily, and we soon find ourselves at a stale-mate as silence blankets over us. The cigarette in my hand still glows brightly, engulfing us in a small pit of smoke as I lean in and tease the smoke around his lips, breathing out heavily right in-front of his face. He scrunches his nose in disapproval.
Finally, the silence is broken.
"I hate you more than detention." He huffs, and I stand up from my desk as he crosses his arms in a child-like manner. Almost immature.
"Likewise." I spit, and go to sit back down at my desk in very opposite corners of the room.
I sigh, looking out the window and at the very dreary, grey looking sky, feeling my eyes get heavy as I take another long drag of my cigarette. There's a rather gusty wind out today, although I can just see the sun peeking through the heavy clouds. A normal spring day.
I feel boredom take over once again, until minutes later I find a vibration feeling in the back pocket of my jeans, and then a loud, deep boom of drums as my ringtone goes off. I sigh, sliding my thumb across the screen as I yank the electronic device from my pocket, immediately silencing 'Match Into Water' and replacing it with a very boredom-clad voice.
"Mikasa where the fuck are you? You were supposed to be home almost an hour ago." A gruff, manly voice says. It's obvious whose it is; I can tell by the very unimpressed manner in which the question and statement is said. I roll my eyes, taking another drag of my cigarette.
"I'm in detention, idiot. I'll be home later." I say blandly, stating the facts and to the point. I hear a groan of agitation as Levi lets out his frustration.
"...Okay, whatever. Are you with the new kid?"
"Unfortunately."
"Must suck for you then. What time will you be arriving from hell?"
"About half past fuck you." I retort.
"Hardy-har-har. Very funny. Just get your ass home." I roll my eyes.
"Yes, mother. Right away birth giver." I say. Silence follows.
"Oh, that reminds me. Mom and dad called. They wanted to talk to you but you had decided not to grace us with your presence." Levi continues sarcastically. I feel my heart skip a beat at the mention of my parents.
"Oh, umm wh-what did they want?" I ask, stuttering. Nice going, Mikasa.
"They called to tell us that they've decided to push their trip back another month or so. Said they're going to Italy for some business trade." I roll my eyes, sighing as I do so.