Chapter 17: Carry On Home

Tw; self harm

* * * * * * *

My phone goes off in the car on the way back from my appointment.

Glancing at the ID, I see it's Alex, and wonder what he wants. It's starting to get dark outside - the blues and blacks of night are clashing with the greens and yellows and pinks of day, and all is calm where the noon meets the eve. I check the time on the dashboard - it's quarter past eight. I had a late appointment today, but I have no place to be. Deciding that the road is safe enough to do so, I pull over into a lay-by and check the message.

Alex ATL:

Important, slightly urgent question; treatment for a deep cut that won't stop bleeding?

My stomach seems to turn over a little - people don't just ask these kinds of questions out of nowhere. There's an explanation here that I don't like; Jack. He's relapsed.

I swallow and tap out a shaky reply. After all, I'm somewhat an expert in this.

Me:

Keep it clean - alcohol wipes kind of sting but they'll remove any bacteria. Keep a steady compression on it until it stops bleeding or bleeding slows.  Is it somewhere that can be bandaged?

I wait a few minutes for a reply.

Alex ATL:

Not really. What's good for compression?

Me:

Depends on what you have available. If it's not too big you can use a rolled up bandage, since you can't use it to dress the cut...failing that any item of clothing rolled or scrunched up. Can you get hold of a suitable dressing? How wide is it? Is it going to need stitches or...?

I can't help but feel like I'm asking too many questions, but it's important.

Alex ATL:

I have a first aid kit with what looks like all standard first aid equipment. It's not that wide but it's pretty deep - stitches not preferable.

Me:

Are there steri-strips in there? They're long and thin, kind of like plasters, kind of like tape.

Alex ATL:

Yep, I got some

Me:

Use them to seal the wound once it's stopped or slowed bleeding and then spring for one of those huge ass plasters, preferably to cover the whole thing. If it's too big, you can cut it down to size, there should be scissors in there. Avoid aggravating it; i.e. don't stretch it or scratch it even though it will probably get itchy as it heals. If it keeps splitting/re-opening/bleeding then regardless of preference it'll need stitches.

There's no reply for a few minutes and the silence is absolutely deafening, so I turn on the radio. Photograph, by Ed Sheeran comes sailing through on clear notes. Perfect. An incredibly touching, emotional song is just what I needed right now. 

My phone goes off again.

Alex ATL:

Thanks, man. One more question;