They're gone - Chapter 20

Spending most of Friday with Merry, Alora didn't think much of it when he didn't visit on Saturday, or Sunday. But she did get a little confused when he didn't stop by on Monday, as he said he would. It was around noon when she decided to go looking for him, it wasn't like him to break his promises, especially after they had kissed. She quickly ran the comb through her hair again, before grabbing her satchel and heading out the door.

The day were getting cooler, as the autumn months neared, but it wasn't too cold for Alora. The sun was beginning to hide behind blankets of cloud, and the wind rolled through the hills of the shire. Soon enough, Alora was in the middle of Hobbiton. Everybody was in high spirits that day, and they all seemed to smile back at her as she walked past. 

Alora continued to walked along the path, until she came to the borders of Buckland. The tree's were growing more golden by the day, and the birds chirped happily in the trees. She strolled slowly along the path, smiling as she saw a shimmering fish in the river. Eventually, Alora came face to face with Merry's front door. 

Knocking cautiously, Alora stood with her hands crossed in front of her, waiting for somebody to answer. The door handle turned, and Alora was met by a wide smile from Merry's mother.

"Good after noon Alora dear, what can I help you with?" she asked happily, opening the door wider. Alora seemed a little confused at first, and then told her why she had come.

"I'm afraid I haven't seen Merry since yesterday! I thought he was with either you, or Pippin," his mother admitted, looking concerned as she lent against the door frame. Alora put her hand to her cheek, and a worried expression fell over her face.

"I haven't seen Pippin... I'll see if I can find him," she finally smiled, Alora bid Merry's mother a good  day, and headed back towards Hobbiton. The sun was now just passing into the west, and a light breeze was still blowing through the tree's. 

When she walked into Hobbiton again, Alora heard whispers, gossip. Unable to figure out what the people were saying, she decided to talk to an older looking man, smoking pipe weed outside a larger establishment.

"Excuse me sir, What's everybody in such uproar over now?" she asked politely. The man smiled down at her, the   pipe weed obviously reddening his cheeks.

"Why lassy, haven't you heard? Mr Baggins is gone! disappeared into the night!" he exclaimed, nodding to his friends. Alora frowned, wondering how he'd only just found out about Bilbo.

"But sir, that was Thursday! Bilbo's been gone four days!" she said, her voice a little sarcastic. The man raised his hand in protest, shaking his head with a stern look in his face.

"It's not Bilbo I'm talking about, Why, Mr Frodo has gone too!" he exclaimed, causing Alora to stare in dis-belief. 

"Oh dear..." she said to herself, before thanking the man and continuing on her way. Her thoughts turned from Merry, to Frodo, and then to Tilia. Was she okay? Frodo had gone, and left her. Or maybe she'd gone too. She needed to find out if her friend had left with him, and hurried quickly towards Bywater.

As she neared the library, Alora spotted Ra sat on a bench, looking rather sorry for herself. It was the first time, in the months she had known her, Alora had seen her without a smile on her face. Puzzled, she walked over and sat next to her on the bench.

"what's up with you?" she asked, looking at Ra's large blue eyes. She shuffled slightly, and looked up to Alora, her expression still a picture of sadness. 

"It's Pippin..." She started, looking sadly down at her hands. "We had a bit of an argument, a stupid one, and now I can't find him anywhere!" she sighed, burying her head in her hands. Alora placed her hand on Ra's shoulder, pitying her a little,