chapter three

Kalani's POV

-

I walked to class with Maddie, attempting to make friends. I know it's quite rude, but I figured if I became friends with Maddie, I could make things right between me and Nick's mom some how. I mean, I was invited to the funeral already, but maybe Maddie had more connections to the family than I did.

I noticed how mean people really did harass the poor girl, and it made me want to just give her a hug. But in all honesty, I wouldn't blame Nick, or anyone for that matter, for liking Maddie. She was, without a doubt, gorgeous, and she did seriously have bigger than average butt...

But she never broke. She either cursed them out, gave them a dirty looks, or smiled and smart-mouthed them.

I decided to sit next her in homeroom, considering I finally made a friend, and this is what friends do.

"Madison," I start, catching her attention, "how do you keep all of this from getting to you?" 

She stares at me, questionably. "I mean, everyone is always bothering you, harassing you...how do you keep it from getting to you?"

"I don't," she says, shrugging. I decide to ignore that she said, thinking of all the horrible things that could mean.

Class begins but is shortly interrupted by assembly bell, causing everyone to scurry out of the classroom. I followed the rest of the crowd and Madison is soon right next to me.

"If we're gonna have seats together we might as well walk together," she claims, smiling.

I forced a smile onto my face and nodded.

We entered the auditorium to see Chloe Lukasiak and a thin, dark haired girl, sitting in 2 of the 4 reserved seats. 

Maddie stopped and held her hand out in front of me so I'd stop as well.

"What the hell is Chloe doing there? Nick hates her!" she shrieked, her face turning bright red.

"She probably thought sitting in the normal audience was beneath her," I said, doubting it myself. 

She dropped her hand and we continued to walk.

"Great, more idiots I have to handle," Chloe groaned as we slid into our seats.

"We were actually assigned these seats, so you can leave now," Maddie snapped, getting in Chloe's face.

"Whoa, slow your roll Fat Butt, what makes you think I'm not supposed to be sitting here either?" she fought back, scowling. 

The mousy brunette girl sat and watched, chewing at her half bitten nails. 

"Maybe because Nick hates you?" Maddie responded, laughing.

Chloe gulped before answering.

"Ok? It's not like Nick assigned these seats. He's," she started, before nervously brushing her hair behind her ears. "Gone." 

I had never seen Chloe, the queen bee of this entire school, act so nervous or worried. I guess certain things did phase her.

"Ladies, what are you doing in this section?" the principal questioned, walking over to us.

"Nick's mom requested us to sit here today," the anonymous brunette said, finally speaking. 

"Well, next time, inform her that she should tell me before-hand. Have a nice day ladies." Ms. Carter walked away nonchalantly and Chloe shrieked.

"Why did you lie?" 

"Well, you guys were gonna say something stupid and get us busted," she muttered, "and if he didn't give us the note, and Nick clearly didn't, then what other option do we have? Say we thought it was him and get ourselves in detention?"

"I barely heard you, but okay. Who the hell are you anyways?" Maddie spat, rolling her bright blue eyes. 

"Kendall Vertes but I don't talk to anyone," she rushes, gnawing at her nails again. 

"You're talking to us," Chloe snickered, Maddie laughing too. 

"Guys, leave her alone, don't be such bitches," I jumped in, rescuing Kendall.

She smiled at me just as the assembly started.

Little did I know this was the start of whole new level of madness, that never even had an end.