Chapter 9- Rowan

this chapter is dedicated to itsferxxcloudy

thank you for always reading and voting I hope you enjoy!!

Two twenty dollar bills slap into my palm, their weight familiar as my opponent places his billiard stick back into its case angrily. The pool table is covered in striped balls while I already knocked the eight ball into its pocket, making this round the fastest I played tonight.

My hands still ache with the tension of a wrench, and the feeling of car grease sticking to my fingers is haunting me even though it's all been washed off. For weeks I have been pushing overtime shifts at work, practicing mechanics on every car in the shop. I'm certain I have enough experience to take the automechanic license test blind at this point, but with my appointment in a couple of days, I'm taking no fucking chances.

Placing bets in pool halls has always been the perfect way to kick my exhaustion and forget about my nerves for a couple of hours, but tonight, no amount of money stuffed into my pockets has been able to ease my sore bones or worried mind.

Filling the bar are a dozen drunk men, all throwing back pitchers of beer and talking shit, but none of them want to play me in a rematch. The snapping of my stick against the practice balls echoes through the room, waiting for someone to challenge me. There's three girls standing by the jukebox that I could start talking to, but I've already beaten one of their boyfriends.

Sighing, I set my stick against the wall and throw on my motorcycle jacket to leave.

"They say you're the champion." Heeled boots click behind me, accompanying a feminine voice. "Hopefully you'll play one more newcomer before you leave?"

I can't stop the smile from spreading across my face.

"What are you doing here?"

Leilani crosses her arm, a mischievous grin on her face as she shrugs. "I knew I'd be able to find you here. You've been dodging school, and I haven't seen you since last Saturday." She moves in front of me and leans on the pool table, a black skirt pulled against her legs and a strapless green top revealing her belly button piercing. "I missed you."

I pull my gaze away from her figure, but her face isn't any less jaw dropping.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking about how it would affect you." I want to kick myself for being so selfish, but it's not a cycle I've been very good at breaking. "I've got all my credits to graduate... so showing up at work has felt more important." I rub my neck sheepishly, knowing I've missed her too. "I promise I'll make time for you, though. No matter what."

She tilts her chin up proudly. "That's what I like to hear."

I can see the fear in her eyes, the expectation that I'm falling into old habits and stepping out of reach. I know it's hard for Leilani when I become unreliable, when I stop contacting everyone and get consumed by my schedule. It's like I can't break the cycle of how my parents' raised me, copying their absent behavior and dangerous relationships.

Leilani hates that I'm unpredictable, and I do too.

Still, I can't stop myself from wanting to tell her everything in my life. "I was promoted this week. So once I pass my mechanics test I'll become a manager at the garage. I'll get more experience with the business part of it, and then I'll be able to open up my own one day."

"Oh my god! Rowan, that's amazing," Leilani beams, jumping up to hug me.

"Whatever," I say, but my hands wrap around her back anyways and squeeze her body into mine. There's pride in her voice, and having her believe in me makes me stand a little bit taller.