Chapter 10. The Drama of Life

It has been such since time immemorial, that men and gods alike have pitched women against each other. From apsaras to mere mortals, every vessel of feminine energy has been made to feel worthless at least once.

Laughable, how they ridicule the womb through which creation sprouted.

But what has caught the attention of Nandini, are women who willingly barter their bodies for sustenance. Some have been forced into it, carrying wounds of shame like warriors on battlefield. Rest have camouflaged themselves within the forest of lust.

"The yagna is turned inauspicious by the sinful oblations. And the fire burns vigorously to remove the stains."

The seer nods. "Such is life."

"Would you respect such a woman?" Nandini asks.

The seer looks down with a pale gaze. The question remains unanswered.

****

Unfazed and jubilant, Tirtha gobbled up his lunch- a scrumptious meal of rice and dal, potato fritters and katla kalia. He was the last one to sit, and now finishing his meal alone. Maya and Rani were there to serve him.

"Rani, did you not make papad today?"

"Do you want to have some?"

"Absolutely!" He licked his fingers. "Fry it till deep-red."

Rani left to make the snack-cum-palate-cleanser. Maya fanned Choto Babu. As soon as the latter was sure no one was going to interrupt, he grabbed Maya by the hand and pulled her on his lap. "So," he sniffed her, "how was my uncle?"

Maya jerked away from his grip and stood behind the chair. "I am not here to sleep with people. I will cook, I will clean-"

"You will cook for me an aphrodisiac, and clean up my semen. Understood?"

"Choto Babu," Maya inhaled and caught the breath ina gulp, "you are the son of a Rajon. You are respected in society. Please do not force yourself on a woman. Maa Kali lives in your house. She will be furious."

"Are you threatening me?"

"I am not." She clenched her fingers around the stick of the fan. "I don't want to entertain you with my body. I am here as only a servant who will work in the kitchen and the temple. My duties are bound."

"You won't decide what your tasks are. I will."

"The Rajon will."

"I am the future Rajon."

"At this rate, the future is uncertain."

Tirtha took up his glass and splashed the water on her. Rolling his eyes, he went back to eating. Maya's hands made sure he was feeling the coldest swish of breeze from the fan. If only she could hit him with that on the head, but she wasn't so stupid.

"You are very stubborn. But you don't realise that men love it. They will see you as a challenge and would want you more," Tirtha said. "Even if I stop perturbing you, someone else will take up my job. You must submit to a man ultimately."