Chapter 1 - The King's Head

“Well, Marcus you have served the Papacy well for over 10 years, since your 13th Birthday” Said Armedicus Sporius, Marcus’ mentor and only parent figure. “His Holiness has decided to reward your bravery in your part in averting his assassination.  Your purse will be 200 Electrum Trachy (Gold Coins).  More than enough to start a small farm, with your own house.

“Or” Said Marcus.

“Or, I have heard mention that Andronicus, the Byzantine Emperor of the whole of the Eastern Roman Empire, is increasing his army to defend Byzantium from the expanding Mohammedens.

“I have no personal quarrel with the Moslems” replied Marcus, “and I am no mercenary, you know well Armedicus”.

“I know” replied Armedicus, laying a hand on the giant shoulder of Marcus.

“All I know, and all I can remember is here, and with you Armedicus, my spiritual guide”, whispered Marcus.  “I shall visit The Holy land, and retrace the steps of Our Lord”.

“You have served well, Marcus, but the moons change.  The purse is yours rightly, and now you may choose your own fate.  Sleep well, and let the light of the morning bring you thoughts anew”

Armedicus placed a leather pouch in the large palm of Marcus, a dull thud  laden with riches not often bestowed on such youth.

“Think wisely my son, should you wish to travel outside the walls, my advice would be to deposit the gold with the Templars for safekeeping whilst you journey.”  

“Templars.  The Knights of Mount Solomon”? Enquired Marcus.

“The monks of the same order run the banking.  They have their representatives all over”, replied Armedicus. “Now I must attend evening prayer for the others.  Let us speak tomorrow Marcus”.

"Goodnight Father".

With that Armedicus left the spartan and simply furnished room of Markus and closed the dense wooden door behind him.

Marcus slid the enormous bolt across the door, then placed the heavy purse on his wooden table and waggled the purse to allow one of the coins to work its way out.  He looked at the coin.

On one side of the Roman coin was not the head of the Roman Emperor, but that of a bearded man.  On the other side was the inscription "XRISTUS/bASILEU/bASILE", he knew this to be his omen, a calling (Christ, King of Kings).

He replaced the coin and put the Purse around his thick, but muscular neck, then tied it with the thin leather strap.  He lay on his straw bed and placed his sword at his side and waited for slumber to slowly and eventually take his consciousness.  The new Morn would be DATUM I of his brand new life.  He new not what fate would bring.