~ Chapter two ~

*Not edited

     To be honest it could have gone better, a lot better. Not only did Cameron not show up but I got arrested for assault, had a lecture from my mother and then I was packed off onto a train and traveling to some place in the countryside. Why? Because my mother made a deal with the police that I would go and work in my Aunt's pub, sort of like community service. It was either that or be charged and there was no way my Mum would risk me having any more involvement with the police.

Did I mention that my mum and my aunt haven't spoken since the gallery incident? So I was being sent to a place that I had never been before, with people whom I had never seen. I couldn't imagine they would have a very good impression of me and I hadn't even met them yet.

     The landscape flashed by as the train raced on. We left the dull coloured cities behind as the land evolved into grassy fields, with farms scattered as far as I could see. I liked the city, it was easy to hide. In the countryside there were no council flats to cascade shadows onto the alleys, there was no hiding.

     When the train stopped I was in a daze of thought. It was about to move again before I scrambled down to the doors with my suitcase and squeezed out just before they shut.

Now I wasn't the best at geography, however I somehow managed to catch the right bus and ended up outside the aforementioned pub.

Taking a look around me I observed the thick, dark wood doors. The building itself was a large, classic English pub with stone walls and mutin windows. There were various picnic tables set up outside, each with a sun shade and there was a small play area for children round the side.

The inside had the best scenery though. Surprisingly, the rooms were cottage-like with low ceilings and beams that ran just above your head. It seemed cosy and yet spacious with a log fire burning and lots of compact rooms that had the walls knocked out so the pub was more open plan.

In London there were usually restaurants instead of pubs and they would be newly built; the complete opposite to this building which looked classic. The dark wood, polished furniture also gave it this rustic feel and, although I usually had a modern taste, yet I loved it!

In awe I wondered through the corridors to the reception desk where a woman looked up from writing in a notebook.

     "Olivia I presume?" she asked, lowing her glasses to rest on a chain around her neck. The women looked older than my mother, she also acted differently. My mum was like me in that she was quick thinking, observant with a slightly mischievous nature - which is what made her the perfect heister. Whereas this woman walked with an air of grace, she probably hadn't seen the inside of a police station in her whole life. At least that's the air she gave...

     "Yes," I outstretched my hand for her to shake, "it's lovely to meet you."

At first I thought she wasn't going to shake my hand; however she gingerly shook it before gesturing for me to follow her, "This way."

My aunt led me through another set of corridors, pointing out the kitchen and the different dining rooms as she went. Every now and then I would catch a glimpse of these rooms. Yet again I was impressed. The kitchen was sparkling clean and one of the dining rooms lead out into a conservatory. That room must have been for special occasions because each chair was covered with white fabric and had silver, transparent bows.

I also loved how the light from the conservatory reflected off the silver cutlery which rested on each table. All these things made me feel a feeling that I had never felt before. Maybe it was the community feel that the pub gave, or maybe it was the cosy atmosphere but, for the first time in my life, I felt like I was home.