chapter five

and although she'd probably deny it, she looked extremely happy whenever she was around her family. her eyes returned to the soft, yet playful gaze of a child's, and in all honesty, it suited her.

- - - - - - - - - -

PJ knew Rachel's family had to be at least a little well-off. Come on, with what her parents did for a living, and all of the vacations they had been on, it'd made sense in his mind. He could have never expected a tall-walled mansion, complete with fountains on both sides of the lengthy driveway. He couldn't have imagined not only a outdoor mini-waterpark, but an indoor pool as well. He would have never imagined a completely marble foyer, along with maids and butlers willing to escort them to the sitting room. He could have never imagined a hallway that already costed more than basically everything he owned.

"Why didn't you add this important little tidbit to the notebook, hm?"

Rachel looked at PJ sheepishly. "Slipped my mind."

PJ shook his head, laughing at the irony. Rachel had includes details about her childhood pet in the notebook, but not the fact that her parents were filthy rich?

Just as the "couple" were about to entire the lounge, Rachel swiftly grabbed PJ's hand.

"Mum! Dad!" she exclaimed, waving to her parents as they engrossed themselves in the morning news.

They whipped their heads towards the two, immediately smiling and jumping up from their seats. Immediately he searches for the origin of the deep blue eyes, but both of them had green eyes. After sighing internally, PJ took note of how casual they dressed, both wearing jeans, before he smiled back.

"Shel! Oh my baby--" her mum's voice became muffled as she kissed Rachel's head repeatedly.

Her dad strolled over and stood happily next to his wife. "You must be the boyfriend we heard so much about! Er," the old man's face twisted up into a look of confusion.

"PJ."

"PJ! Aha, it seems like we're finally getting to meet you!" the man's face tore into a warm smile, and he reached out to pat PJ on the back, before hugging his daughter.

"Oh la la," Rachel's mother began, raising her eyebrows suggestively. "You've found yourself a cute one, eh, Shel?"

Rachel blushed and nodded, and PJ laughed half-heartedly. "It's great to finally meet you Mr. and Mrs. --"

"They just go by Bernard and Essi," Rachel coolly cut in, looking warmly towards PJ.

"Mhm," Essi hummed, sticking her hand out towards PJ. The artist carefully shook it, followed by a handshake from Bernard. Although the encounter seemed like the stereotypical "we're cool parents" scenario so far, PJ liked Bernard and Essi.

Rachel lightly gripped PJ's hand again, and lead him over to a seat diagonal from her parents. As her parents caught her up on all of the drama they'd encountered in the last week, PJ took the time to admire the room. A large gray rug was sprawled out in the center of the room, reaching all corners of the room. There was a glass chandelier in dangling in the center of the room, the light from the floor-to-ceiling windows shining prismatic light onto the tiled floors. PJ's attention then diverted to the elegantly carved columns stationed behind Bernard and Essi's sofa, as if guarding the queen herself. PJ sighed dreamily, looking up towards Essi who had finished her rundown of the snarky things people had said to her.

"That was unnecessary to say," Rachel commented, eyes filling with short-lived emotion.

"Well, jokes on her, because I actually went and did it! I wouldn't have it weren't for her incessant gloating, but you know how those snobby aristocrats are."