1.20

Hi to anyone still reading this! So I'm going away for three days with no internet connection (help i don't know if i can survive) and so I won't be uploading (probably tomorrow, depending on how early I wake up (take that as a no update), definitely not Sunday, and definitely not Monday). Sorry! Anyways, enjoy the chapter :) and talk to you in a few days...

Connor

I could Emily yelling into the phone in her bedroom.

"You did what?"

"After all that?"

"Okay, fine. Your choice."

"Yeah, we're fine. I'll ask."

"K thanks, bye, Tro."

A minute later, she was in my room and spinning around on the desk chair, waiting for something.

"Yes?"

"So, Troye says you have a forgivable explanation?"

"Yes. My friends are idiots and I yelled at them for it. Then I broke down and we're cool now and they won't do it again." She was still slightly mad at me, because Emily could hold grudges for ages, but it was enough that Troye didn't hate me anymore.

- - - -

The next week it was Emily and I's birthday.

While neither Emily nor I felt the need to have huge celebrations for birthdays, and both of us kind of hated cake, Mom was the kind of person who didn't like throwing parties, but wanted to go all out to celebrate things. And so she invited our friends to this fancy over-the-top restaurant just outside of town. Zoe, Cat, and Emily had gotten all dressed up for the occasion and were in the corner giggling about something. Caspar looked very uncomfortable with the whole situation, since the only people he was friends with here would be Emily and Zoe. Jc, Kian, Ricky, Sam, and Trevor all looked nice, wearing button down shirts that they probably didn't even know they owned. Troye looked hot as hell in his blue button down and black jeans. We all looked basically the same, actually.

We were all sitting at a table laughing at something, when one of the waitresses brought out a cake for us. Emily and I sat next to each other, both staring at it like who the heck made this and why, I didn't want this. 

"Happy birthday to you," they all sang. "Happy birthday dear Emily and Connor! Happy birthday to you!"

We both grinned awkwardly at the waitress and thanked her and my mom, then turned to each other. 

"Which of you wants the first slice, Emily or Connor?" Mom asked brightly.

You can have the first slice, her eyes seemed to say.

Absolutely not, I told her.

"I'm actually just going to go the bathroom really quickly," Emily said, standing up.

I hate you, I glared at her. Caspar snorted. I guess he knew that we both hated cake.

"Alright, Connor, here you go!" Mom handed me a paper plate with a frosted mess on it.

"Thanks!" She beamed. Troye laughed silently at me. I guess he knew too.

- - - -

We were all standing outside of the restaurant, talking about nothing and everything. Troye was standing next to me, laughing at me slightly disgusted face as I held the unfinished cake in a box. "Don't like cake, then?"

"What tipped you off? The mildly disgusted face? How I secretly threw it away when Mom wasn't looking?"

"All of the above," Troye said, laughing.

I smiled at him. "Here hold this for a minute," I said. "I want to go say bye to everyone else before they leave." Troye nodded, but it looked like he might be just a little disappointed. I ignored that, brushing it off as a figment of my imagination, and went to say bye to my friends. Emily hugged Kat and Zoe then went off to talk to Caspar, before hugging him goodbye. She grinned at me, then turned to talk to Mom.

I went back to Troye, and we started walking to the car. He was supposed to have gone home when the others did, but he was my cake-carrier now. So Troye got into the car, laughing with Emily and I about something we would forget in the morning. But that didn't matter, because we were happy now.

- - - -

Troye ended up staying at our house for longer than we thought he would. Around midnight Dad poked his head in my room and reminded us that Troye had to go home soon. Then both my parents went to bed and we were free to do whatever. 

So obviously we spent the next three hours marathoning American Horror Story. I said something, and he laughed, throwing his head back in a crystal laugh. I smiled at the other boy, just being with him enough for that smile. 

He closed his eyes, yawning. "I should call my mom soon," he whispered.

"You could just stay here," I muttered. 

"Can I?"

As if he had already accepted the idea, he laid down, head in my lap. I smiled at him, his eyes closed and hair a mess. His breathing evened out, lips parted slightly. I lowered his head onto a pillow on the ground, covering him in one of my blankets. "Good night, Tro," I whispered.

Before I knew what I was doing, my lips were on his forehead, and I was lying next to him. I closed my eyes, but not before I saw a small smile on his pale face.