Chapter 1

Sidney groaned loudly, glaring at the incessantly ringing phone. She was running late again, should she pick up the call? Her secretary was out to lunch, so reluctantly she resigned herself to answering the phone.

‘Sidney Barrington,’ she spoke politely into the handset.

‘Sid, are you all set, the company president will be in attendance at our briefing session this morning?’ Tom Erickson panicked.

‘Well if you stop harassing me over the phone, perhaps I could get there on time!’ she rebuked the manager of the project they were both involved in.
She had not met the elusive company president, although she heard he was a perfectionist, who ran a very tight ship. But she was confident and ready with her presentation.

‘Sid if you’re not here on time, he’s going to have me for breakfast,’ Tom cringed.

‘It’s lunchtime,’ she retorted, ‘not that all of us have the time for such luxuries,’ she calmly teased into the handset.

‘Just get your sexy butt here, and I’ll buy you the fanciest lunch you can dream up,’ he promised.

‘Okay, I’m leaving my office,’ she assured him.

‘By the way did you change the dimensions, I emailed you earlier?’ he checked.

‘Thirty six by twenty six, yep I got it,’ she verified.

‘Mmm interesting dimensions,’ Tom teased.

‘You have a warped mind,’ she smiled, her sandy brown hair falling over her face as her fingers wrapped around the coiled handset, whilst she verified and scanned the new dimensions before saving the information onto a flash disk.

   Chase Rennard cast a cursory glance at the name on the stainless steel plate on the glass door, Architect: Sidney Barrington, as he walked in.

He glanced impatiently at the woman, her fingers curled around the handset, a grin on her face probably talking to her lover. He could not see much of her face, but her beautiful glossy brown hair covering her profile caught his breath. He wanted to reach out and glide his fingers through her hair and tuck it behind her ear, so he could have a better look at her face.

He should be exhausted. He’d just flown thirteen hours across three continents. He needed a drink and a workout in his gym in that order to get his circulation going. Better still the striking creature in front of him could help restore his circulation in more pleasurable ways.

Sidney looked up, as if sensing she was not alone, and stared into the bluest eyes she had ever seen. She almost choked on her breath as she continued to gaze, taking in the most beautifully sculptured cheekbones and chiseled features God had bestowed upon a male species.
The lips were well shaped and bright red as if somebody painted them red, but she knew he must have been born with such beautiful, kissable lips.
What the hell was she thinking?

And those shoulders so broad, completing a perfect vee with the narrow waist. She gulped for air hoping to wash down that chocking sensation enveloping her.

‘Sidney, if you’re not here in ten minutes you know the penalty,’ she heard Tom screeching in her ears, bringing her back to reality.

‘I’m on my way,’ she mumbled, replacing the receiver.

Who was this gorgeous hunk with such bad timing?

‘I want to see Sydney Barrington,’ the man demanded, when she replaced the phone.

Why didn’t you walk in an hour earlier?

Whoever he was, gorgeous as he was, she could not help him now, if she was late, she would have to buy lunch for the entire crew. That was the penalty for latecomers to the project briefings. Although she could afford to buy them lunch, she hated penalties and then there was their ongoing teasing and ridiculing when she was late. She’d already been late once before, and once was more than enough.