Chapter 1 ⚽️ One Morning

A month had passed since the last whistle finalized the victory of Inazuma Japan. The little town the team was named after still echoed its worldwide celebration at their doors. Every corner was packed with people who wanted a glimpse of the junior national and international champions.

Now the whole world knew of their names, knew of their soccer, and knew of their lives. It brought changes to life but nothing they couldn't settle with.

Furthest away from it all, the cheers still rung in Hiroto's ears like it truly was yesterday. Nestled by a tree, he soaked up the warmth of an early sunrise.

"One's place in the sun is something desired by many." Midorikawa's phrase came amongst the waking birds and the forest behind.

Hiroto grinned as Midorikawa sat closely next to him. "Never thought I'd see you up this early."

"Saginuma wouldn't stop talking in his sleep." Midorikawa pouted. "'I'll take you down' this, 'you'll see a true player' that. He just won't give the monologues a rest."

Hiroto chuckled, "you better make sure he doesn't hear a word of that or he'll go into speech mode."

Midorikawa dropped his head unto Hiroto's shoulder, closing his eyes to the heated view. "Are we taking a break today?"

"The schedule Hitomiko-nee gave set up a break every two training days." Hiroto twirled his pale fingers around one of Midorikawa's curling side bangs.

"Are we following the same set as last week?" Midorikawa glanced up as Hiroto sighed. "She still hasn't called back? Tell me she at least left us with something about what she's doing or where she'd been all this time? Anything?"

Hiroto stayed quiet.

"...Nothing?" Midorikawa guessed, worry on his face. "Nothing at all?"

"She hasn't replied to any form of contact." 

Midorika played with the ends at the other side of his side curled side bangs. "You're calmer... calmer than I had anticipated with her up and leaving like she did and without a notice, not even to you or your father." 

"She'll tell me, sooner or later. I'm sure she has her reasons." Hiroto grinned down at Midorikawa. "After all, patience is a virtue?"

Midorikawa's head shot up and he raised a brow, amusingly.
"Using one of my phrases against me now?"

"What did you expect after all this time?"

Midorikawa smiled contently, laying his head back to Hiroto's shoulder. The two stayed in the moment, the sun rising from a land of green hidden by its absence.

It was slow but Hiroto noticed the second the air stilled before a sudden roar of thunder shot behind them had Midorikawa shriek by surprise and shock.

Head up, Midorikawa glanced around abruptly. "A storm?" No hint of it of its orgin came up.

"Let's get to the others." Hiroto grabbed Midorikawa's hand and hurried down the path, swallowing the worry in his throat.

They made their way back to the cabins settled by an open clearing. The only one where the trees left a large space, enough to consider a field for. A gift of nature for the family that grew along its forest.