We're Friends, Right?

"Okay." Violet climbed back up on the counter, watching me, "Continue with your story!"

     "Fine," I grunted, looking at Hallie as she shuffled across the floor. She had dumped her shoes somewhere in the store earlier, and was now sliding around in only her socks. She slid across, losing her balance, and tumbling into a pile onto the floor beside me. I looked down at her, shaking my head. I moved behind the counter, tugging out a small stool none of us really ever used. I took a seat, watching as Hallie lifted herself up on the counter beside Violet. They both turned around to face me, waiting intently.

     "Maisie, we need to talk."

     "I know."

     "Where were you last night?" She was furious, I could tell.

     "I spent the night at Tyler's," I answered easily, "And I wasn't going to have this conversation in front of him or Dad."

     "There's nothing going on between Todd and I. We were—"

     "Holding hands," I finished for her, my voice escalating. "I do that with all of my friends!"

     "How did you even know I was at that store with Todd?"

      "That isn't important!" I snapped, "All that matters is that you were!"

      "Maisie." Her voice was much quieter this time, as her eyes narrowed. "You can't say anything to your father or brother about this. Don't tell anyone, actually."

     I laughed slightly as I repeated this to the girls. Clearly, I wasn't listening to that. The girls chuckled too, and Hallie rolled her eyes. Besides, Logan was the one that told me. If they were strolling around a public place in town, you'd think other people would have seen too. A lot of people probably knew and just didn't want to be the one to rat her out. I knew the girls wouldn't tell anyone anyway, so I really had no hesitation in telling them. 

     "You're such a good listener, Maisie," Hallie joked. 

     I shot her a look, adding, "Hey, I can stop at any time." 

     Violet shoved herself into Hallie, shaking her head, "Keep going, who cares?"

      "Unlike you," I growled, "I don't want to hurt them. I'd never even think about telling them this. You would ruin Tyler, and Dad would be devastated."

      "Your father's so busy with work, he would hardly notice."

      That had startled me, and I had stumbled backward slightly, as if I had been slapped. I shook my head, heading upstairs. "I'm not going to tell them."

     As I approached the top of the stairs, I realized she was following me. "How long?" I turned around.

     "How long what?"

     "Have you been seeing him?"

     "Maisie—"

     "How long?" I repeated, adding more emphasis on my words.

     "Six months."

      I scoffed, turning on my heel. I knew she was still following me, even though it was clear I didn't want to speak to her. As I entered my room, I slammed the door in her face, hoping she got the message. There was a pause, as I turned to face the door. Cautious and soft, a knock came to my ears. I clicked in the lock button, falling back on my bed. At that point, I couldn't control it, as tears landed upon my bedspread, staining the colors.