She Said Forever

August, 1976
~~~~~~~~

The thirteen year old boy was new to the small town.

Yes, just a prisoner. Another problem to be solved with more problems. Hopelessness with no chance to escape. Hell. Which one suits best with this dilemma?

Of course this wasn't his idea if you already caught on, nor his choice to even think about, which he choose not too anyways.

You see his mother, a single, thirty three year old, just got the new job that offered way more than her fifty dollar weekly salary as a grocery manager. It was strange how the newspaper ad offered her such an opportunity to work at one of the best restaurants in the country. Which, was only thirty minute drive from their new home.

Again, don't think about it.

He couldn't- he wouldn't, break his mother's enthusiasm when she spilled the news of the new job and transfer with such hope in her eyes, that things where finally looking up for them after many hardships, false truth, and lies of dinner at the table at night. So he did the next best thing when she waited for his response, he lied.

"That's awesome Mom. I'm so happy for you..." He managed to say, straining to keep his voice steady. They both gazed around his room, remembering, soaking in every detail probably for the last time. Him on the other hand, was secretly building, replenishing hateful things, screaming, crying, swearing to be heard.

"Why! Just please! For the love of your God, I don't deserve this! PLEASE, LOOK AT ME!" The boy smiled the finest one he could muster up when she actually did looked back at him.

"I'm so happy! Thank you so much for understanding honey!" She hugged him, which wasn't so often, and exited out the door with a excited skip to her walk.

Seven days, five thousand miles, and a few cheap hotel rooms later, they where in this ghost town. Which proudly held empty shells or even skeletons of many unfinished houses, gravel roads with weeds growing in between the small rocks where very noticed, and trees everywhere you looked.

No, they weren't given the pleasure of a broken down house. Their new home was number 209.

A two bedroom shack- sorry, apartment with a small living room, and a tiny kitchen that couldn't even fit two people. Their only neighbors were of a old couple down the hall.

Yes, this was home.

"Go outside and explore. Make a friend or two." She encouraged, still unpacking the box that contained picture frames to hang on their old, cracking plain walls. They had lived here for three whole days now, and he still wasn't use to it.

He put down the box that was labeled 'Kitchen' on a black and white tiled floor before rushing for the closest exit.

"Wait."

The boy stopped and slowly turned around from their front door, irritated at this sudden demand when he was mere seconds of escaping the dust-filled place.

"Yes Ma?"

She looked hesitant to say anything at first, than smiled warm heartily at him. He did not return it. "Remember, this is only temporary. Once we get-"

"Once, we get enough money we can move into a better house. Yeah, you told me before." Was his harsh reply, he opened the door, which gave a annoying squeak and stepped out without even giving his mother the chance to say goodbye.

Dashing down some sagged stairs and reaching solid ground is when he started to heave and sigh heavily, filling his lungs with fresh air. It felt as if there where a thousand bricks on his shoulders, and it wasn't from the lack of exercise either. All the goodbyes he had to say to family and friends, leaving his home with a final goodbye, leaving all the memories of his father with it. He was mentally sick of goodbyes. Once he regained his strength, he continued to walk on that poor gravel road, not really caring what direction it will lead him.