Poltergeist

Here you have a picture of the real Tauton State Hospital, located in Massachusetts, USA. My story is located in England though, and the Asylum is purely fictional, but I got the idea from this one, which is by the way abandoned. Creepy and awesome.

...

Pol·ter·geist: noun; German word for "noisy ghost". A paranormal manifestation generally centered around an individual in which objects disappear or are thrown about.

Her mouth opened again as Leah dropped her plate into the sink.

"You should go to bed, darling," her mother advised her. "You look so tired."

"I wanted to wait until dad came from work," she admitted.

"The pill is making its effect, you should go before it doesn't work anymore, dear; I'll tell your father you waited."

Leah looked at the sink full of dirty plates for a few seconds, hesitating.

It had been a week since she had been hospitalized and the pills were really working, all her problems were already gone and the only thing that made her shiver was her own memories. The side effects of the Nytol kept her a little bit somnolent during the day, so she couldn't think a lot about anything; she felt numb. There hadn't been any sign from the voice she now thought was product of her mind, so everything seemed to be right back to normal in the last days.

Until that night.

The raindrops hit the windows mercilessly, like they aimed to pierce and get through the glass. It had begun as some high winds and a smattering of rain, but it had built into the worst storm in a generation. The wind didn't howl, it screamed and the rain didn't fall, it was driven hard, torrential, forming instant rivers that raced along the gutters and overwhelmed the drains. There was no thunder, but it was dark... really dark.

She climbed the steps one by one with weaken legs and blank mind. She arrived at her room, closed the door and didn't bother to turn on the light, directly stepping into the bed and covering herself with the covers. It was warm and cozy and her eyelids felt so heavy they soon started to close.

The only thing she could hear was the storm outside the house, and somehow it calmed her and made her fall asleep very deeply.

Her dreams were full of light and satisficing for once. She dreamt with sun and meadows, feeling weightless. She was laying on the grass between the daisies and looking up at a clear sky, watching the clouds pass by and trying to guess their form.

It was peaceful until a strong thud woke her instantaneously, her eyes opening with it. She first thought it was her father arriving at home, but that idea faded away when she looked at the table clock. 4:24 am.

She then thought it was just the storm, some thunder, but she was aware that sound was too loud for a storm, and she had not seen any lighting when she heard it again. Leah rose startled from the bed.

The annoying sound seemed to come from the wardrobe in front of her bed and that made her grow goosebumps. She could barely see anything due to the darkness when the knock made her shiver again and left her frozen.