Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Scene 11 - Exes and No's

I'm a little annoyed with Loki for blabbing to Hart about my papa, but I'm not going to hold a grudge. I never told him I'm on a mission to do this showbiz thing on my own. He probably just assumes I'm taking the easy route.

When I find Presley, she's sitting on the vinyl couch next to Roger the Wannabe. She looks pissed, but she knows damned well I have ulterior motives when I go to these raves. Clutch has the crowd fist pumping, and it's all I can do to stay off the dance floor as Loki and I stroll up.

"You need to stop ditching me every time we go to a party," she says, although there's no fire behind it. She's clutching her purse to her stomach like a hot water bottle.

"And you need to stop incapacitating yourself every time we go to a party." I sit beside her and dig into her purse. "You didn't drink all of it, did you? I could use a snort."

"Southern Comfort is the only thing left." She puckers her lips like she's trying to keep the others down.

Southern Comfort has never been my first choice. It's closer to my last, but I'm in no position to complain. I assess the dregs of my soda and scan for the wannabe guard. Loki is watching me like a mother hen.

"For chrissakes, Loki, sit down and relax a minute. You can give me camo while I pour this."

I pat the spot next to me and Loki sits. Roger is still there, and he hands Loki my trench while he pretends not to know what I'm up to. I untwist the cap and dump the liquid libation into my cup, stashing the mini bottle between the cushions. Before I can dwell on the nasty smell wafting out of it, I chug the whole thing. It's the only way.

"You forgot the midnight text," Presley says.

"Crap. I was supposed to call Mom." I dig out my cell and check the time. Twelve-twenty. I stick my finger in my ear, blocking out the party noise, and wait for Mom's voice.

"Hello?"

"Mom, it's Mel. I'm sorry I forgot to call at midnight, but I have the most amazing news."

"I can hardly hear you, Mel. Are you still at the party?"

"Yes. Wait until you hear what happened."

"You'll have to tell me when your voice is not being drown out by dubstep. Do you still have a safe ride home?"

"Yes. Don't worry. I'll be home soon." I'm not telling her my evening is being cut short by my drunk best friend.

I drop the phone into my purse and flop back onto the couch, throwing my arm over Presley's shoulder. "This has been a fan-fucking-tasic night." She gives me a good for fucking you look. "Life's what you make it, chickie. I take it you're not up for dancing."

"Not unless you want to see psychedelic barf. But Finn looks like he wants to dance with you." She points at Finn making his way toward us.

Shit sticks! Why did Rodeo Ralph have to show up and kill my buzz?

"What's up, gang?" Finn says this like he cares about what Presley and Loki are up to. I know he's Mr. One-Track-Mind tonight.

Presley makes a valiant attempt to hold her head up. "Hey, Finn. Stalk anyone lately?"

Finn crosses his arms and smirks at her. "I see you're not stalking anything. I hope you're not the designated driver." He looks at Loki. "I assume you're responsible for these two."

"I'm not driving them home, if that's what you mean. We came here with Presley's sister. They're in good hands."

Finn chuckles. "You must not know Presley's sister very well. Say, Mel. Can you spare me a minute to talk...in private?" He waves his hand toward an empty high-top table as if he expects me to pop off the couch like an obedient dog.

"I don't think now is the best time. I've got a friend who needs me to prop her up."

"Why don't you let Loki prop her up. C'mon, Mel. All I'm asking is for a minute of your time." Finn's smile wins, partly because I'm feeling a kick of alcohol, and partly because nobody with a shred of compassion could say no to that farm boy face.

"I'll be right back. Keep an eye on her, Loki."

Finn leads me through the crowd to the empty high-top. On the way, he tries to hold my hand. It's hard not to let him.

"I thought we weren't doing that anymore, Finn."

"You've been on my mind a lot lately. I've been thinking I was stupid to break it off with you."

Sure, now that you're tired of Mandy.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to respond to that."

"Say you forgive me and we can go back to where we left off."

He's giving me his sad puppy eyes, so I stare at his chest, which is equally difficult to ignore.

"That's a funny thing to ask. Because I remember you telling me we were too different to be in it for the long-haul. That our paths were intersecting but not parallel. I remember it clearly because you stole the line from the novel we were reading in English Lit."

He looks embarrassed. Good, because I'm not done.

"Most girls like their first to stick around awhile. You got tired of me after two months. Maybe it's just me, but I thought we had an amazing..." I stop myself because I blocked those memories for a reason. "Based on your quick ride with Mandy, you don't seem to be a long-haul kind of guy. I'll forgive you, if that's important to you, but I can't be with someone I don't trust."

"I'm sorry, Mel. I was a fool." He barely let me finish before he started in with the pleading. "If it's any consolation, Mandy made me realize how much I enjoy your company. You make me laugh. You're up for anything when we're hanging out. You're not always worried about your looks. Although, right now you look so good it makes me want to punch every guy who stares at you." He shakes his head like he's trying to dislodge something from his ear. "Is it that Loki guy? Are you seeing him?"

"No. I'm not seeing anyone." Damn. I should have said yes. It would have made this easier. "Listen, Finn. I'm doing fine without a boyfriend. I want to focus on getting my foot in a few doors. I'm not saying we can't hang out now and then, but no commitments right now, okay?"

What are you saying? You don't want to hang out with your ex.

His shoulders slump. "I understand. But I'm not going to fuck up again. You'll see."

"That's the spirit." My feet lead me away from his unwanted drama and back to the music. Clutch is mixing like a madman, and I've got to hit the dance floor at least once more before Presley starts blowing chunks.