Interfering friends

Fraxus Week 2015, Day 4

Laxus and Freed went out into the woods to a little place Laxus liked. It was far from the city, a river babbled nearby, and there was good fishing. Laxus sat on a rock with his fishing pole, and already he had caught one. Freed went around their campsite. There were berry bushes, apricots, wild onions, garlic, mushrooms, leeks, and a walnut tree. He gathered what was around, planning some way to prepare the fish that night.

He hummed a tune to himself as he thought about it. A campfire, laughing together, Laxus would compliment him, maybe they would open that bottle of rum Laxus brought with them, have some drinks, scooting closer to one another as the night got colder, and once Laxus had enough alcohol to lower his guard, Freed would kiss him again. Laxus gave permission, after all. Freed seriously hoped that bottle of rum was Laxus' way of consenting to Freed's desires.

"If I ever get drunk like that, you're allowed to kiss me. Got it? Because for some reason, when I was drunk, kissing you was a lot of fun."

That was a hell of a mixed signal. Freed wanted to feel hope, but could he even feel okay with kissing Laxus while he was under the influence of alcohol? It seemed like a horrible thing, taking advantage of a man he admired greatly.

But was it really taking advantage of him if Laxus himself suggested it? And if Laxus was the one who packed that bottle of rum?

"Find anything good?"

Freed leaped at the question and turned around to see Laxus shirtless with two large fish hung over his shoulder.

"Um, onions and garlic, there's some mushrooms and leeks, and I can make a dessert with the berries and walnuts."

"Impressive as always," Laxus praised. "This is why I like to have you with me for camping."

He turned back to their little camping area. Freed stood still, wondering what he meant. Did Laxus just want him around as his private chef? Did he like that Freed was skilled in food preparation? What did he mean?

He needed to ask directly. They needed to talk about this. As much as he liked the idea of simply camping together, Freed was getting anxious by all the mixed signals. What exactly did Laxus want of him?

Just as he was about to head back, Freed caught sight of a dill plant. Dill went great with fish. Freed had brought along a lemon to season. A lemon dill sauce, sautéed garlic, leeks, mushrooms, and onions, with a fruit salad of apricots, raspberries, and chopped walnuts...

Just as he was walking over to the dill, he saw a foot smash it down. Anger filled him. Someone dared trample a perfectly good plant! He glared up to see Natsu pushing his way through the bushes and looking shocked.

"Freed?" he asked, as if unsure it really was him. "Wow, I didn't take you as the camping sort."

In a low and threatening voice, Freed sneered, "Take your foot off that plant or suffer the consequences."

Natsu leaped back in surprise, and luckily the hardy dill sprang right back up. Freed rushed forward and harvested enough for dinner.

"You're cutting weeds?" asked Natsu.

He straightened up and shoved back his hair. "I am about to create a spectacular meal worthy of Laxus-sama."

"Oh, cool! Laxus is here? Hey, I wanna fight him!"

Freed glared. "He is on vacation."

"Then he's all rested up. Awesome."

"He is not—"

Natsu ran past him shouting, "Hey Laxus, fight me!"

Freed put his hand to his face. "Rules are absolute," he intoned darkly. He looked up at where Natsu was traipsing across the meadow. "Rule number one of camping with the Thunder God Tribe: no one interrupts Laxus-sama's relaxation."

Runes suddenly lit up around Natsu, trapping him in a purple glowing cage. He hit the rune wall, but nothing would break it.

"Those who break the rules," Freed said direly, "shall be subjected to a fate worse than death."

Natsu felt a tingle through his body. "Wait! What are you doing?"

"Sending you ... away!" Freed walked up as Natsu began to vanish. "Do not attempt to return, or it will be much, much worse."

Natsu tried to cuss him out, but he suddenly vanished. The runes disappeared, and Freed sighed.

"It's a good thing I set up that perimeter."

"Freed!"

He cheered up instantly. "Coming, Laxus!"

He skipped over to the campsite and saw Laxus busy gutting the fish.

"Took you long enough," he grumbled. "I thought I heard someone. Were you talking with a friend?"

"It's no one important," he assured.

"I heard Natsu's voice. Not like I want to deal with an annoying brat like him, but what did you do to get him to leave?"

"Oh, just sent him away."

Laxus raised an eyebrow. "Where? If you send him back to the guild, he'll just return."

Freed shook his head with a smile. "I sent him into the middle of the bathing room in Fairy Hills. Even if there are no girls around, the landlady is strict against men entering the women's dorm. He'll be severely punished by her and any Fairy Tail ladies who happen to be at home."

"Erza lives there," Laxus pointed out.

Freed had a devilish gleam in his eye. "That is punishment number two: trapped inside Erza's bedroom, chained to her bed, wearing nothing more than a loincloth with a sign that says Hot Stuff Ready For Love. It's a fate worse than death."

Laxus had to laugh, and it made Freed overjoyed to amuse him. He happily sat beside Laxus and got dinner ready. He would make Laxus a meal worth of a god! No friends would interrupt their precious time together.