Goodbye?

"I don't think this could work" Hiccup admitted looking away from Merida, he did not want to see her reaction. 

"What? You're leaving me? But.... but..." the sentence remained unfinished as the words struck her right in her heart. 

"Our paths divide now, I don't want to do this any more than you do" 

"Why do it then? We could leave and never come back! We could start a new life together" 

"It wouldn't work, I have been betrothed to Astrid and it's her whom I shall marry" 

"You pick her over me? You just give up and go running to your Viking lass! Do I really mean so little so you?" 

"No, it's just easier. We could never make it on our own don't you see that?" 

"All I see is a coward, a coward who holds no love for me any more" 

"Don't say it like that" 

"Like what? How it really is? Well if you are willing to turn away so easily then fine! I am willing to go against my mother and three clans but you turn away and give up" 

"My farther would kill you if he found out about us and then what? What love would we have? You are brash and foolish, think for a moment" 

"But you can't just leave me here stranded, a slave to my fate. You just can't" 

"But you're safe here" Merida looks away tears threatening to fall 

"Please don't leave me here Hiccup" 

" My duty is to my future people as well as to you" 

"When you become chief could we..." 

"I couldn't leave Astrid like that" 

"But you can to me? You don't just leave somebody who you love for a stranger" 

"I can and I must. If I left her when I became chief I would be exiled!" 

"If you were exiled we could be together again" 

"What about you and your betrothal?" 

"Please Hiccup don't leave me here" 

"I'm sorry" he hoisted himself on Toothless and took into the afternoon sky, Merida in tears collapses a heap on the floor. All she wanted was to be loved, to be free and now she was robbed of both. After a while she clambered onto Angus and rode back before the sun could go down.