Prologue

Prologue

The faint sunlight filtered in through the windows, brushing past the heavy curtains which bordered them as they lined the long corridor, shielding the cold stone walls from view and pooling on the flagstone floor, and alighted on a pair of men who were talking in hurried and hushed whispers. The sound of the men’s footsteps was muffled by the thick walls; both blended perfectly into the austere surroundings. One man was older, dressed in red and black with brown hair streaked and speckled with grey. The other was a handsome boy whose lean figure and messy brown hair betrayed his youth. As he fiddled constantly and tossed his head, his hair curled carelessly against the silver fabric of his tunic.

“There is no hope,” the younger man said. He eyed the floor resolutely while his shoulders drooped with dejection as they walked through the corridor. “We have tried absolutely everything.”

“No Arthan. There is one last way we might use.” The older man smiled benevolently.

Arthan paused for a second, allowing his companion to move ahead of him. “What?” he asked eagerly, his eyes alight at the thought of one final avenue which was open to them.

“A bounty hunter,” the older man replied.

The light which had burst into Arthan's eyes vanished and he crossed his arms. The Palace had never co-operated with criminals and it never would. There was, after all, a reason that the statues had been put in place. The royals had spent years ensuring that Sullniane - well the Palace-governed area - was a kingdom utterly free of crime and to start associating with them now... It was unthinkable. “You would trust his life to a thieving law-breaker?” he exclaimed incredulously, thinking perhaps that his companion was joking. “And which of these mercenary outlaws is granted this honour?” His voice was filled with venom and his formerly handsome face twisted into an ugly mockery of itself.

“Careful there Arthan," the older man warned, "I agreed to use any means possible and it almost suggests that Thannaerus' retun is... distasteful to you."

Arthan glowered and clutched his upper arms, mindlessly pressing his fingers into his skin. "Of course I want Thannaerus back; I just do not think that a bounty hunter is the correct way to go about returning him to his rightful place."

His companion frowned, pursing his lips as he struggled to keep his voice low. "This is not just any bounty hunter. They say the shadows fear to follow in his footsteps; that he can disappear in an empty room. They say that he can find anything, anyone in the entire world. We must find him and have him bring the prince back to us.”

“And pray tell me Lassirus, what do they call this mysterious bounty hunter? This god among men?” he questioned mockingly. He would take no part in condoning criminal activity. He would not consort with bounty hunters, regardless of Lassirus' plans.

“I do not know; he changes his name with every capture. Last I heard he went by the name of the Spider.”