Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The tiny town of Hed consisted of a small number of worn houses, squatting low in an attempt to avoid the malicious gaze of the Palace and its laws which wouldn't hesitate to bring down their fists and slam it into the ground. Despite its small size it was a notorious stopping point for travellers on their way between the various towns of the Outlands and made fairly good business with many of its shops operating from the front rooms of the residents' homes and only the smallest sign to betray their presence.

"Don't be put off by the appearance of poverty," Safita said as they walked through the street, "it's all a façade for the benefit of the Palace." She ducked into the porch of a small house, hanging low over the door and forcing Finred to stoop as Safita knocked loudly on the door.

"Ah, Master Spider," said the man who opened it moments later, "I was not expecting you."

"When are you ever?" she asked wryly as he bobbed his head and showed them in. It was a peculiar house with an extremely narrow hall, paved with stone and only pretending to be straight, with a very low ceiling which forced Finred to duck; neither Safita nor the man who showed them into his front room felt the need to however, both being fairly short in stature - the man was so short that he barely reached Finred's chest and added to his diminutive size by bending over almost in half and leaning over heavily on a wooden cane which he carried. Sitting down slowly in a chair opposite them he gazed out from under his bushy eyebrows and rested his fingers together in contemplation. "What will it be this time Master Spider?" he asked.

"Did you see this man come through here?" she asked straightaway as she handed him the small portrait of the prince she carried.

"Aye, that I did," he replied. "Is he your new prize or are you after his fortune?"

"Very funny Andan, you're extremely lucky I like you and that you serve a purpose or that comment would force me to remind you just who I am," she said flatly.

"Ah surely you wouldn't kill me Master Spider? You know I'm naught but a helpless old man," he said with a teasing twinkle in his watery blue eyes.

"I am not really in the mood to bandy words. Did he come to you?"

"Of course he did. They all do at some point," the man replied proudly. "I am the best."

"And the only mapmaker around for a long way," she pointed out. "When exactly did he come through here?"

The old man wrinkled his bulbous nose as he thought about it, scratching his head slowly. "I'd chance to say about a week and a half ago; as far as I could tell he'd gotten himself horribly lost," here he wheezed and laughed with a knowing look at the pair of bounty hunters in front of him. "Well you know how it is when you ain't sure of the way even when there's a road in front of you and beneath your weary feet."

"And you sold him a map and sent him on his way?"

"Of course I did Master Spider!" the old man smiled, revealing his yellowing teeth. "Gave him some directions and sent him straight off!"

"Where to?" Safita asked.

"It was Scaera if I remember rightly but he said he'd stop off on his way in a couple of the roadside towns. He's a smart one he is Spider, he'll be leading you one hell of a chase."

"Hmmm yes..." Safita mumbled. "I don't suppose he told you exactly where he'd be heading at first, did he Andan?"

"That he did not, no Spider," the old man replied with a shrug, "sorry."

"It's fine. Here's ten kurft for your information," she said, throwing a coin onto the desk in front of him.

"Only ten kurft! For a poor old man like me?" he exclaimed.