Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Violette and Arianne looked at Joachim in horror.

Their secret was out but Joachim didn't seem as surprised as they expected.

And Joachim was the first to speak. "This..." He gestured to the two of them, each holding weapons. "...doesn't surprise me."

Arianne frowned, tossing her sword to the side. "What?"

"You're the daughter of the most skilled and famous musketeer across the continent..." Joachim explained, putting the bow and arrow back. "You knowing how to fight doesn't surprise me. I know Emma was skilled with the sword too. Her father trained her..." He turned to Violette. "You, however, that does confuse me..."

"Just because I didn't grow up with a father who was a musketeer, you're surprised I know how to fight?" Violette asked as Joachim put his hands up in defence.

"I'm not arguing. I am very impressed..." He said as Arianne smiled. "But can I ask why are you so frustrated with each other that you are fighting with each other?"

Violette dropped her sword and turned to Arianne. "This has nothing to do with what happened in the maid's chambers. You are upset about something and we want to help you so just tell us otherwise, I will fight you again."

Arianne sighed and tilted her head. "I met Emma..." She admitted as they all looked at each other with shock.

"Wait, what?" Joachim questioned. "When?"

"Earlier..." Arianne looked at them. "I went for a walk and came to a tavern and the barmaid slipped me a note. Someone wanted to meet me at Treville's home so I went and it was Emma."

"What did she say?" Joachim asked.

Arianne sighed, turning to the training room, her eyes falling on her father's portrait hanging on the wall before telling them everything Emma had confided in her, including Gaston being seen welcoming a boat from England. "I'm not safe here and I was foolish to think that I could keep up this charade any longer. I'm leaving for Gascony as soon as possible."

"What about Emma and her parents?" Joachim asked, worried for the woman he loved as Arianne turned to him.

"Maeva is safe in Gascony and Emma remains in Paris but you cannot see her, just in case you are followed..." Arianne reached for his hand and squeezed it. "She is safe for now, and once we get to Gascony, she will be safer."

"What happens to me?" Violette asked, fear filling her that she had begun playing a dangerous game with powerful people.

"I can assure your safety when I get to Gascony. You will be under my protection so if anyone lays a hand on you, it will be seen as an act of war. No one will risk it..." Arianne explained. "And with the King by your side, Gaston wouldn't dare try anything..." She sighed. "However, I will settle things in Gascony and once they have, I will call for you to join Emma and me, but only if you want to."

"When do you leave?" Joachim questioned as Arianne shrugged her shoulders.

"As soon as I can but I have to sort things out here first..." She admitted. "Christophe...needs to know but he cannot hear it from me..."

Joachim nodded, vowing to relay the message with as little information on sources as possible.

As Violette hugged Arianne, apologising for the maids and that their time together was cut short, Joachim looked at Arianne.