Oh Darlin', Bless Your Little Heart

I'm really trying to get back into the swing of things. Personalities, dialogue. That kind of fun stuff. Advice would be lovveedd~

Megan threw her phone on my bedspread and groaned. "Mandy has more drama than I know what to do with, I swear."

I grinned at her. "And you don't? Weren't you saying your mom was the spawn of the devil earlier because she wouldn't let you go to Bryan's house?" 

A twinkle in her eye appeared at the mention of her boyfriend's name. They'd been going strong for over a year now. I was just happy she'd found a good guy. Before, Megan had gained the reputation of going through boyfriends like disposable razors. But Bryan.. he really was a good guy. Smart, funny. And he respected her. Plus, she was head over heels for him. I felt like they had a better chance of making it than any of us running the high school relationship rat race.

"Oh please, Rebekah. My she-devil mom is breaking a commandment or something for keeping us apart." She flopped back onto the bed, blonde hair fanning around her. I was always jealous of the shade she had. Not a yellow, like most people, but practically a white. 

It was nothing more than an ordinary day. We both sat there on my bed, Megan texting I don't know how many people, and I icing my knees. We had dance team practice after school each day, and with Megan living so far out of town, she normally stayed over at either Bryan's house or mine until her mom got off of work. 

I took the ice packs off, letting my knees regain some feeling after soaking up the numbing cold. Megan glanced up at the sound of the bag, giving me a sympathetic wince. "B. You bruise easier than a banana. Look at your poor knees!"

"I think it makes me look tough. How about, look at these awesome bruises!" I said, defending the marks I'd gotten from practice. She made a noise of disapproval just as the doorbell rang. I threw the pack to the ground and went to the door.

There stood Charlie.

The brother who had been living five states away for almost four years. With his wife and kids.

And he was alone.

"Hey Bekah. Jenny kicked me out and took the kids," he said gruffly, coming inside and placing a suitcase on the ground. 

He walked over to the fridge and started digging around. "I'll be staying a while." I just stared at him. He closed the refrigerator and turned around. "Have any beer?"

I finally blinked, regaining my voice. "What are you DOING?"

Charlie shot me a confused look. "Searching for beer?"

"That is not what I mean. I mean what are you doing here? You don't call. You never visit. You and Jenny bicker like two year olds, leaving Mom to try to fix your screwed up relationship so she can see her grandchildren. You irresponsibly forgot to pay a bunch of shit, making Mom pay for it so you don't lose your home. You've practically worried her to death! And you just show up, looking for beer and wanting your room back? No. Get out, find somewhere to stay the night, and call Mom tomorrow and explain everything." By the end of my rant I was out of breath.

"I understand. I'll hopefully see you later B." My brother nodded to me, grabbed his suitcase, and walked back out the door. Sliding the deadbolt, I went back into my room and flopped on my bed next to Megan. She gave me a small smile and squeeze of the arm before looking back up at the ceiling where I was staring.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment!