Maddelyn

(A/N) Some general backstory
info for reader-chan!

Maddelyn is a german name
and I chose this because of Jean's supposed german heritage. The backstory for Maddelyn and Jean is as follows: Maddelyn's mother: Resi (also a Germanic name) tragically died during childbirth.
Jean brought up his daughter as a single parent. Maddelyn is now 6 years old and feels very attached to her father.
As for you and Jean; you met at your work. He was charming, bright, and kind-hearted. You have been together for 4 years now.
Despite not talking of marriage, Jean and yourself decided to have a baby together to feel like a real family.

The story now begins on a mundane monday morning in early spring...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Backpack?" You hear an enthusiastic Jean say from the hallway.

You're laying flat on your back on the rug of the living room floor, after attempting to exercise.
You had began to feel increasingly fat over the past couple of months. Sure, you were pregnant. But boy, did you eat a lot of junk food. It was partly your fault why you were feeling like this. No, in fact, it was entirely Jean's fault.
He was the one who gave into your ridiculous demands of food. He would often bring shopping bags full of the bizarre requests for you. Why couldn't he just say no?

"You did this to me... Idiot." You mutter under your breath.

Attempting to sit up, your huge stomach was no match for the excruciating pain that followed after.

"Check." You hear Maddelyn reply.

In that time of trying to sit up, you had heard Jean ask his daughter what must have been hundreds of the checklist essentials. Of course, there weren't really hundreds.

"You've got your lunch in there right? Let me check for you." The man says, turning his daughter around 360 degrees in his kneeled form to open up her backpack.

"Jean..." You call out.

"Just a second, (Y/N)." Jean shouts back impatiently, fiddling around the interior of the backpack.

"Daddy... we need to go." Maddelyn whines.

"I know baby. But daddy's gotta check you've got everything in there for school." He tells her softly.

Maddelyn sighs in annoyance but secretly smiles.

Zipping up the pink bag, he turns around his daughter again, ruffling her light brown hair before clambering up onto his two feet.

"Let's go say bye to (Y/N) before we go, Maddelyn."

The little girl, a nearly identical copy of her father, nods her head, then lifts her arms up in gesture to be carried. Jean picks her up with a small grunt, as she wraps her arms around his neck in support.

With your sheer will power, you mange to push yourself upwards and balance yourself so that you're leaning on your elbows.
Your legs somehow stand up on their own, and you let out a large huff in proud achievement.
You make your way out to the hallway to see Jean smothering his daughter with kisses.

"Daddy! Stop!" She giggles.

"Nom nom nom." He laughs, tickling her in the process.

You blush slightly. He is such a great father, you think, laying a hand over the top of your growing baby bump.
Upon seeing you, Jean walks over and kisses your cheek, to which Maddelyn pouts at and fidgets in her father's arms.

"Say thankyou to (Y/N), Maddelyn. She made your lunch for you." Jean tells his daughter, smoothing out her hair.

"Thank you." She says, barely audible, staring up at her father.

"Not to me, silly!" He says.

"Oh, it was nothing." You chuckle softly, shooting the little girl a smile, to which she shoots back a glare.

"Thank you, (Y/N)." Maddelyn says, this time less meaningful however looking at you.

"You have a good day at school, hmm?" You tell the little girl, still beaming at her.
She dismisses your comment and looks towards the doorway, signalling that it's time to go.

"Right, well we'll be heading off then. I'll be home soon." Jean tells you, giving you a soft peck before leaving hand in hand with his daughter out the door, the little girl standing in height comparison just by her father's hips.

Waving at the door, you couldn't help but feel saddened by the fact Maddelyn was not so comfortable around you. You wanted to be her motherly figure in life, the best one if possible, but she would not let that happen. She was bound to her father's love, the bond between them both unbreakable. You knew you could not change that, but you pondered how she would cope exactly when the baby would come. Being the centre of attention had and always been kind of her thing.

After 20 minutes, Jean comes back with a carefree look upon his face.

"Welcome home!" You call from the dining room, eating a wild clump of salad and various meats.

Jean follows the sound of your voice and finds you stuffing your face contently.

"Wow... That's an... Interesting meal you've got there." He comments, sitting across from you.

"It's tasty. Want some?" You offer.

"Nah. I'm good. Thanks though." He replies, grinning through his words.

After finishing, you take the messy plate out into the kitchen, to which Jean follows.

"Hey, (Y/N), how are you?" He asks, sitting down on a chair in the kitchen, watching you as you wash the dishes.

"I'm sorry, I've been so preoccupied lately with Maddelyn. She really wants me walking to school with her instead of driving. Man, she talks a hell of a lot along the way. I can't keep up with her sometimes."

You turn towards Jean.

"She does?" You say.
"She never seems to say a word around me. Only when she wants something, like the TV remote or some extra juice." You put a finger up to your mouth and stare down at the floor.

"Jean..." You start.

"Hmm?"

"Does she hate me?" You say quietly.

Jean stands to his feet at this, wrapping his arms around your body so that your head is nestled into his chest.

"No, babe no. Why would you think that?" He says softly, combing his fingers through my (hair colour) hair.

"I know how hard this must be for her." You say, pulling back from his embrace slowly.

"New house... New school... The baby..." You whisper, biting down onto your bottom lip.

"Yeah. It's all new to her. But she's settled in fine at her new school, you know? The teachers keep telling me how big of a contribution to the class she is. Always raising her hand..." He trails off.

"She's a bright girl. She is." You add.

"I'm sure she'll be fine when the baby comes (Y/N), if that's what you're worrying about. We're a real family now." He says, lifting your chin up to a sweet kiss.

After sharing the nice moment together, your body jumps in surprise, your hands automatically falling to your stomach, which Jean's widened eyes avert to.
You blush and beam at your smiling boyfriend as he rubs his soft, large hands in circular movements along your huge bump.

He gently pulls up your shirt then, revealing your stretch-marked belly which you had strangely grown to love.

"Hi little one. Daddy loves you so much." He whispers to your stomach, his soft lips and ash brown hair tickling against your skin as you hold the back of his head.

Your heart beats quickly at the beautiful scene and your face continues to paint a smile.
He truly is the best father.