Life Goes On

A/N: Hi all. Apologies for not having time to update this fan fiction. I would never have guessed it would get this many reads, so thank you! I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

(Your POV) 

3 winters had passed since that night. It still haunted me at times. His voice, his tone, the way he stared down at Jean like he was a piece of dirt on his shoe. His cruel laughter, his cruel smile. Maddalyn didn't question what had happened that night. She had saw her father at his weakest, at his most vulnerable. Though the man was not related to her, she made us promise through teary eyes that we would never see him again. And we did.

It's summer now, and the lazy days couldn't have come sooner. I'm in the kitchen, slicing a larger than life chocolate birthday cake into seperate slices, placing them on balloon patterned multi-coloured plates. I can hear the faint sound of music and children's laughter from the yard. A now 2 year old Arabel sits in her high hair, feet swinging, consuming a piece of cake, winning the world record for the most messiest toddler. Her mouth is smeared with chocolate. I giggle to myself as I gently wipe her cute little face, feeding her the remaining piece of cake in the less-messiest way possible.

"Mrs Kirstein! Is is time for cake yet?" An excitable  voice says behind me. I place the cutting knife on the counter and turn around to see a little boy staring up at me with the brightest green eyes.

"Sure is Elliot!" I say. "Could you tell Maddalyn and everyone to come inside please?" I tell him, and with that, he runs back out into the yard where I see a now 10 year old Maddalyn, surrounded by all her friends. I smile. She's matured so much over the past years, I think. I'm stopped in my thoughts however when a pair of familiar arms are wrapped around my waist. I turn my head and feel his lips brush against my ear.

"You know," he says, dipping a finger into the chocolate buttercream and putting it to his mouth, "you really are the best wife any man can ask for." 

"I really would have found that more romantic if you said that without stuffing your face with cake." I chuckle, playfully pushing him off me.

He smirks behind me then, turning me around and placing his soft lips onto mine for a sweet kiss.

"Thankyou for this, (Y/N). For making the cake and organising the party I mean. I've been so caught up lately with work." He says to me.

"Don't worry about it honey. Maddalyn deserves to have a great birthday. It's the least I can do." I smile at him, as Maddalyn and her army of chattering friends enter the kitchen.

"Alright, who wants cake?" I say, to which I hear a chorus of cheering following shortly after.

-------

I had pre-made a dozen goodie bags for Maddalyn and her friends before they left the party. Handing them out one by one, I hear a knock on the door and figure that the parents are here to take their kids home. 

"I'll get it!" I hear Jean shout. Opening the door, a shorter man, with emerald eyes and unruly brown  hair stares back at him. Jean's eyebrows furrow slightly, analysing the figure that stands before him. He could have sworn he significantly recognised this man from somewhere.

(Jean's POV)

"Kirstein?!" The man says, eyes wide. 

"Jäeger?! No way." I say in complete bewilderment. Eren Jäeger. The kid who would make fun of my hair on a day to day basis in junior school. I mentally face palm myself. For the love of God. Anyone but this guy.

"I had no idea you were Maddalyn's dad, Jean." He says. "Been a while, hasn't it?" He says awkwardly. 

"Yeah, well. Small world. You're here to pick up your kid, right? Which ones yours?" I ask, trying to wrap my head around the fact that he actually has a kid. Who did he marry in the end? I wonder. Mikasa Ackerman? No, they had a more brother and sister relationship in high school. Sasha Blouse? No. She was with that Connie guy. Historia perhaps? 

"Elliot. Him and Maddalyn are good friends, aren't they?" Eren says, hands in his pocket.

"Yeah. They seem to get on well. Anyway, uh, come on in." I gesture, standing aside.

Elliot's face lights up as he runs to his father. The resemblance between them is uncanny. I can't believe I didn't see Jäeger in him before now. 

"Right, we best be off. Thanks for having him Mrs Kirstein. Jean." He says, averting his eyes to me. 

"No problem. He's welcome here any time." (Y/N) beams at the man.

(Time Skip - Your POV)

After saying goodbye to everyone, Maddalyn had settled in for the night on the sofa with me, Jean, Arabel and a tub of ice cream.

"So, Maddalyn. You're ten now. You know what that means, right?" Jean says as she takes another spoonful. 

"What does it mean?" She asks curiously.

"You're double digits now! You can conquer the world. Buy a house, get a job, drive a car..." Jean says.

"Don't be putting ideas into her head, Jean." I roll my eyes, bouncing Arabel on my lap, but Maddalyn's mind seems to be elsewhere as she watches Disney channel. 

Jean chuckles as he closes his eyes, leaning back on the sofa, hands behind his head.

"My little girl." He starts. "All grown up. It's Arabel's turn next." He says, turning his head and smiling at his gurgling daughter who shared that same beautiful golden eye colour of his.

I hear Jean's phone vibrating in his pocket. Picking it up, he unlocks the screen.

"It's Marco. He wants to video skype."

Maddalyn's eyes light up at this. 

"Marco?!" She says excitedly, moving closer to where Jean sat, moving her head closer to the screen so that she's in viewing width. I move closer with Arabel, holding her gently by the stomach.

"I haven't spoken to him in a couple of months. Wonder how he's doing?" Jean says, as he accepts the call.

Marco's face is seen on the screen. He's sitting in a vividly decorated room. Behind him is a bright hanging cieling light, a CD rack and a cork board full with magazine and newspaper clippings. 

"Guys! It's been a couple of months, hasn't it!" He says, a warm smile on his face. 

"Hey man! How you doing?" Jean says.

"Marco!"

"Hey birthday girl! And I'm doing great, thanks Jean. University is so much better than I expected it to be. I've made so many new friends already. It's great over here."

"I wish we could visit you soon Marco." I say, Jean positioning the camera in mine and Arabel direction. 

"Arabel has grown so much! She really is starting to look like you, (Y/N). And I know how hard it is being so far away. The time difference is crazy annoying. It's midnight over here right now." He tells us. "Anyway, I thought I'd tell you guys that I'm coming back home next month for a couple of weeks  to visit my parents. I was wondering,  it's just a thought, would you guys like to meet up?"

"That sounds great, Marco." Jean says.