Uncovered Part 1

It began with a notebook and a hello.

A girl and a journey.

A dream and a final wish.

Make it to the end. Finish. Survive.

That's all she was given. The little girl who was dropped among the others, all with identical greetings and parchment. They were all confused.

Scared.

But she, a mere child, only looked at them, in hope of unison to confide in.

But unison unheard of, they began to run. And run they did.

The purpose still unknown, the despair of all the miserable souls waiting to make it to the finish faster than all others was bright. The girl, too, wanted similar of the goal transparent.

She wanted to live.

Many left the book behind, a useless thing indeed. Those who kept it died protecting it.

But she ran alongside those she chose to believe in whether or not they established trust or not. Because her innocence and her hope kept her going, her fire outshining far the others.

And so it did.

Time was not of essence in such a place. Only estimated. Just like all other things. The others forgot all necessities before themselves; sleep, food, water. Every single one dropped at their feet to lust and greed. They stopped at nothing to get their first. But they stopped at death.

Soon enough, the girl alone clutched her book, its empty pages infinitely blank. She walked and stepped over the bodies who have already lost their souls to abyss; but she still had a long way to go.

A long way indeed.