Chapter 3

Lexi's heart beat fast. The perspiration wetting her forehead made it impossible for Abby to apply any blush. Lexi had encountered numerous men while trying to obtain information and could not figure out why she would be nervous about going out with Rafa. He was the means to end the women's miserable situation. That alone should motivate her to abandon her nerves, but Rafa was no normal source to gain trust.

"Lexi, your hair is being as stubborn as you are. It won't curl." Abby set the curling iron down next to where Kayla sat on the edge of the tub. Maura was on her lap. "Honey, that's hot, so don't touch it, okay?"

Lexi smiled and shook her short hair from Abby's grasp. A soft giggle came from Maura as Lexi clipped a piece of her hair behind her ear. "You're wasting your time on my hair with that old junk anyway."

Kayla hiked Maura to her waist and stood, Maura's curls bouncing with the lift. "I'll bet you're ready for dinner, aren't you sweetie? It's already five-thirty and I'm starving too."

"Uh huh," Maura mumbled and looked over to Lexi.

"Why don't I take you downstairs and make us both something to eat?" Kayla set Maura to stand and grabbed her hand.

"No." Lexi pointed at Kayla. "Maura needs to stay upstairs until I'm out of the house and the doors are locked. No risks, remember...especially with her."

"I know, but I figured we had a few minutes."

Lexi stood and held out her hands for Maura. "No, with this man, he'll probably show up fifteen minutes early. Let me meet him outside the house when he pulls up."

"Then get," Kayla said, "before you miss him and he knocks."

Lexi tapped Maura's nose and gave her a playful kiss. "Abby has a special dinner planned for you tonight."

"And you are going to love it." Abby added and started to put away all of the items she could not use for Lexi's make-up.

"You hear that, sweetie? Isn't that nice of Abby?" Lexi gave Maura a big popping kiss.

"I wanna go with you. Is it gonna to be a party?" Maura asked as she locked both her legs around Lexi's waist.

"Oh sweetie, it's not a party; but when I come back, I'm going to bring you a present, okay?"

Maura's green eyes sparkled as she smiled up at Lexi. "Promise?"

"Of course I promise. And I never break my promise, do I?" Maura shook her head as Lexi set her on the floor. "Okay, sweetie, wish me luck."

Maura was used to saying goodbye and reached up for Abby's arms. "Good luck. Don't forget your promise."

Lexi smiled and gave her a tiny kiss on her lips. "No chance, sugar-bear. I'll see you tonight."

As Lexi took a step, Abby crossed her fingers for good luck, which Lexi returned. She was going to need all the powers of the universe and then some on her side if she would get through the night without any surprises.

***

After parking in the empty driveway of Lexi's house, Rafa stepped out of his car and started up the concrete sidewalk. Weeds grew in between the cracks with three worn steps at the end that had remnants of paint from years ago. He looked at the front of the house, concerned with how the roof above the porch sagged down. Her circumstance made the knot in his chest tighten more as he wondered how he could have prevented her grim situation.

Rafa hesitated in his thoughts and grazed his finger against the thin black belt around his matching slacks. He thought he had dressed casual until seeing the house. He unbuttoned the top few buttons of the navy dress shirt he wore to make Lexi feel more at ease. He could do nothing about his car. The Lexus did not match the old minivan with a broken window or the small blue car with one side mounted on a jack stand next door. The scene overwhelmed him, triggering his thoughts back to a time he had tried to forget, a time in his life that had ended with no explanation.