III: UNDERDOG

THE FIGHTER THAT IS THOUGHT TO HAVE LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING

\ \ \

ZENON SITS IN A DARK CORNER and leisurely wraps bandages around her hands. She watches, relaxed, as she crosses and overlaps the strip of fabric. Again and again, in the valley between her fingers, over the hills of her knuckles, all the way down past her wrist.

Zenon looks up and, with faint amusement, watches Hale flutter and frit around Irene, trying to get her to change her mind. His brows are furrowed with exasperation—it's a clear sign Irene's not going to back down. Why does he even bother?

Dion and Doris exchange a few words, before Dion digs into his pocket and passes Doris some money. The twins like to run bets with anyone on anything. Usually, at the end of the night, most of the money ends up in their pockets, not the winner's. They circle around, collecting money from Uncle Lee, and Aunt Veronica. While other families bet on the outcome of sports games, the Nikephoros family likes to do so on friendly family events. 

When they get to Hale, he gives them a particularly dirty look, before stalking away. Zenon sees him coming in her direction, she closes her eyes and leans back against the wall. She really doesn't want to get into a whole ordeal with Hale right now.

"No," she says, before he even has the chance to open his mouth.

There aren't many rules enforced in the Nikephoros household, but one of them states: once a challenge is initiated, it cannot be stopped until one of the fighters either forfeits or passes out.

"Why do you need to do this?"

"Why not?" Zenon opens one eye to look at Hale, who looks thoroughly frustrated.

"Because!" Hale yells, but lowers his voice. "Because she might end up bloody and broken, with a few broken ribs, while you! You get to walk away unscathed. Because . . . everyone already knows you're the best, do you really need to prove it?"

Zenon wonders if his ego just took a nosedive, after admitting that. She makes a face, like she's actually considering what he's saying. "No," she says finally, "I don't need to."

Hale exhales with relief.

"But I want to."

Hale clenches his jaw. "You're actually impossible. When are you going to get it through that stubborn, thick skull of yours that this isn't a game?! That people are not made of steel and can actually get hurt? And this is your cousin, for Gods' sake!"

"Trust me." Zenon stands up to look Hale in the eye. Unfortunately for her, he's a couple of inches taller, so she has to tilt her head back a little. "No one knows how fragile humans are more than me." Zenon curls her lip. "So kindly fuck off, and take your bleeding heart with you." She roughly jostles his shoulder as she pushes past him.

She's the first one in the ring.

"Hey, Zenon?"

Zenon looks over her shoulder to see Aunt Veronica standing behind her.

"I know she's the one who challenged you, but . . . we both know how sometimes Irene doesn't think things through. So just . . . go easy on her, okay? Don't hurt her too bad."

Zenon doesn't say anything as she turns back around to face Irene, who's just stepping up. Zenon quickly runs through a few notes and reminders in her head.

She's taller, so avoid getting kicked with her legs, aim for her mid-section, remember she favors her right side, bonus points if you break her nose.