Chapter 32 - Surprise visitors

Legolas POV

I slashed, before freezing. Before me stood Radagast on a sleigh and Gandalf behind him. I apologised and explained to them what I was doing.

Gandalf said what he was doing. The same thing. In my heart I knew he would do a better job than what I could have done. His powers would help him, whereas skill on the battlefield can only take you so far. No matter how good you are.

Radagast tried to make me convince Gandalf to let Radagast go with him, but I understood why Gandalf went alone. After all, I'd been about to alone. One person is quieter than two or three. There's no confusion and whispered conversation.

Gandalf said I would be needed in Mirkwood more than I thought if I didn't hurry back, so I watched him go in slowly, until his hat had faded into the mist. I bade Radagast goodbye, and ran fort my home. What did they need. I wished Gandalf had been more specific. But that was why he had been s vague, so I would go quickly I was a warrior loyal to my people.

And I ran. I met spiders, and they died at my feet. Everything flicked passed as I ran, barely out of breath. In my mind I was working out where the Guard would be. What day it was, and what time.

I continued to run, occasionally changing direction, bearing north constantly, and slowly moving west.

By midday I was at the Mirkwood Mountains. I bolted up, scrabbling at the rocks that seemed to melt under my feet. I looked out for the Guard, scanning for any sudden movement. I saw a rustle in the trees. If you weren't looking for them, you'd never notice them, but I was one of them, and I knew the times and formations.

I grabbed some Lembas, before sprinting to the group. My feet beat a rhythm as I ran, the light fell thin on the ground, and then I met them, the leaves kicking up behind me as I skidded to a halt. They were amidst a fight. I joined in. I didn't lead, I acted as a blur. I came in when a person struggled, and dashed away again. I watched as Tauriel lead. She was doing well. Then we both saw it.

There was a huge spider, some kind of parent, maybe. It was charging towards us. Tauriel looked uncertain as to what order she should make.

So I ran for it. I sprinted, my my knives drawn. I watched as it chose where to defend, in other words, the weak spots. It had it's head bent, mildly shielding its eyes. I could see the huge poisonous stinger, and it seemed to be clinging tightly to the spiders body. Eyes and stinger. Two weak spots. I'd faced worse.

When I reached her, I leapt onto its head, using a kick into its right eye, for an extra spring. I landed on its head, I heard it growl at me, in annoyance. But she also stopped, it was disoriented by the shock in its eye. I bent down and slashed it again, one eye down, one more (and a stinger) to go. One leg came to hit me, it I sidestepped and got the other eye.

Now for the harder part. The leg came to kick me like it had on the other side. This time, instead of dodging, I clung to the leg, so when it hit the floor, I could leap off and be beneath the spider. I darted for its stinger. She tried to kick me every other second, and I ran and rolled, got side tracked, but eventually, I did a diagonal strike, cutting off the stinger. I ran to get out of under the spider, raising a knife to cut open its stomach as I ran. Blood and gore dripped to the floor behind me, and I forward rolled into the floor.

I looked up and saw the entire Guard. Tauriel at their head. The sun flickered on her hair like a firey crown, and her face was defiant.

Then she grinned and offered me her hand.

.

.

.

.

Tauriel POV

I was shocked as Legolas barreled towards the spider. I'd been worried about him ever since he'd left. It was a suicide mission going to Dol Guldur alone. And now he returned and went for the spider without a word.

I also felt mildly annoyed, as I'd never told him I'd loved him, and Thranduil had used his sons absence as a way to tell me I could not love him.

My heart ached as I pulled him up, and looked in his beautiful eyes, knowing I could never tell him.

Tell him I loved him...

And that was before the dwarves came.

"You're doing such a great job, I think you can continue it," Legolas said, his eyes dancing, "I'll step back up when told to, Captain is your position now. I don't know for how long. But I've got you're back."

.

.

.

.
A/N
Was that a good chapter ending? I don't know. Please let me know. So now the story is linking up with the films. I'll try and keep the dialogue as accurate as possible, and Elvish spelling will be interesting. :)
See you soon.
Eloise xxxxxxx