Chapter 1

My name is Glimmer Marie Gordy. I have an older sister named Mahogany. We both have curly red hair. We are nobodies. I was named because my eyes change colors based on my mood. Green for happiness, blue for sadness and fear, grey for anger. But my main eye color is brown with glimmery gold specks.

For as long as I can remember, since I was two and Mahogany was nine, we've been running from my abusive father. I'm thirteen now. My mom died when I was born. Her last words were, "Call her Glimmer." Since then my father's blamed me for her death. Finally one night, Mahogany scooped me out of my crib, and took off.

We've been on the streets ever since. Over the years, we've made our way from Maine to North Carolina. We always stay in the small towns so we won't be recognized. We steal to live, but only what we need. By the time I was four, I could pick anybody's pocket without them noticing. Mahogany usually guards the camps that we make in the woods, and I go out and steal.

Today, I moved a little bit closer to the big city because there was an event. I thought I could pickpocket more people. I scoped out the scene a little bit before I saw a guy pull a big wad of cash out of his pocket, flash it to his friends, and put it back in his pocket. I moved closer, pretending to be looking for somebody. His friends walked off, leaving him alone standing on a corner. Finally I walked up to him, bumping into him purposefully. I fell into him, slipping my hand into his pocket and wrapping my fingers around the money. As I pulled my hand out, our eyes met. His were a bright blue. My hand slipped and caught on the belt loop. He stiffened, and I realized I had been careless. I started to run.

I thought he was going to yell out and cause a commotion. But he just chased after me. I had an advantage, though. I could duck under other people's arms and lose myself in the crowd. He was very persistent, he kept chasing, gaining on me slowly, so by the time I turned the corner and found myself trapped in an alley, he was only a few steps behind. Suddenly I was slammed to the ground. I turned my head to the side so my cheek would hit the ground, not my nose. The boy quietly and fiercely said, "Who are you and why did you try to steal my money? Also I'm calling the police." I gasped. "No, don't call the police!" I looked up at him. "Wait a second, weren't your eyes brown before?" I shrugged. "Possibly. But if you call the police, they'll take me back to father. I'll have to leave my sister. That can't happen! I'll give back the money! I promise! Just let me go!" I shoved the cash at him and started running back down the street. "Wait!" He called, but I just kept running.