Chapter 3

Akari

Something sweet gushes into my nostrils. It feels like home.

It smells like Karma.

So sweet, so tempting, so warm, so comforting...

Karma...

...

...

...

...

...

...

Who cares about Karma?! I WANT BOOZE! CHOCOLATE-FLAVOURED BOOZE!!!

*****

Karma

It's no surprise. Karma has expected the girl will drink herself to senseless.

The weight on his back isn't light. But he silently endures it because it's Akari. As he walks down the busy streets with her on his back, people barely looked at them. It seems to be something usual in downtown, where people would get drunk and eventually got carried away by others. Whether if the drunkard is carried by someone he knows or bad people, onlookers would find no interest to interfere. The same case goes for Karma. Though, his flaming red crown is drawing attention from the delinquents nearby. He could hear them whispering in hushed voices. Karma hopes they don't recognize him.

It is a long way back to headquarters. He ran all the way here without the patience of waiting for his driver to pick him up because Akari means too much to him. Another long way home. But her still heartbeat against his back washes his trepidations away. He was relieved that the idiotic brunette survived. Being drunk is a hazardous vulnerability to girls. He did not dare to imagine what would happen to her if bad people decided that she looks good enough to eat.

No matter how long the journey, he'll continue carry her on his back as long as she is safe.

Idiot Akari. What were you thinking?

Now...

What am I going to do with you?

Will you listen to me?

Will you talk to me?

Will you... stay with me?

"I HATE YOOOOOOU!" Another shriek from the girl. She hammers his back, giving him a rough massage. His hands almost slipped from holding her. Then she yanks his hair, causing him to yelp.

"Akari!" He shouts. He has no free hands to caress his poor scalp.

"I haaaaaaaaaaaaate Kaaaarma. Bwahahahahaha!"

Intentionally or not, the words sting.

She hates me. Wonderful.

"I hate KAAAAAARMA!"

"I waaaant chocolaaaaaate!"

"Maaaaaake me chocolate!" She yanks his hair. He refrains from dropping her to the pavement.

He sighs and lets her drunken state vents her frustrations on him. He will gladly accept all her attacks and her yelling if it can ease her anger.

*****

Finally. Home.

Karma lets go of Akari and she plops onto her bed, eyes closed as she drifts in dreamland. She has fallen asleep halfway back here, which eases his job. Panting from exhaustion, he lies down next to her. He turns, watches silently as she inhales and exhales steadily. He touches her hair which, although reeks with alcohol, carries a sweet smell of peaches. Then she turns her body and inches herself closer to him, snuggling into his warmth.