Chapter 35

Chapter Thirty-Five…

Tapping my fingers nervously against my chin, I glanced up at my house. Both Harry and my mum’s cars were on the driveway and they would be inside waiting for me. Did they have any idea of what had gone on today yet? I hoped not, because they hadn’t even tried to call me.

Jord grabbed the hand which wasn’t fidgeting uneasily and massaged it soothingly with his own. “It’ll be okay, Jess.” He assured me gently.

I shook my head. “I don’t know what I’ll say to them. You don’t think I can hide it from them, do you?” I inquired hopefully. Although the Zack thing hadn’t stayed as hidden as I’d have liked, maybe I’d have more luck this time.

“No.” Jord stated bluntly. “Just tell them the truth, they’ll take it fine. You’re mum won’t blame herself, I’m sure.”

I don’t know how he figured out what was worrying me so much, but I was grateful he had without me having to actually tell him. “But what if she does? What if it pushes her too far and then she takes the drugs again anyway? I don’t want to have told her and lead her to doing that.”

Jord sighed and I knew my explanation had been a rational one. It was very likely that that would be the case, and Jord knew it.

“I’ll come with you.” He offered. “I’ll help you tell them what happened.”

Instantly, I knew what he was planning on doing. “Don’t tell them it was your fault.” I ordered.

“But it will stop your mum blaming herself,” he pointed out. “Plus, it is partly my fau-”

“Don’t say it.” I interrupted him. “It is not your fault.” I gazed at him with certainty. The urge to kiss him, reassure him in more than just eye contact, was overwhelming, but I wasn’t sure if we’d reached that stage yet and I didn’t want to appear too forthcoming.

“Come on,” he hurried me along. “Lets just get this over and done with. I’m sure they’ll be fine when you’ve explained it, just really worried about you.” He reiterated, opening his door and expecting me to do the same.

“Okay.” I agreed. “It will all be fine.” I repeated his sentiments, trying to convince myself, despite the ominous feeling that had wormed its way up my spine.

Following him up the driveway, I cut in front of him when we reached the doorway, opening it myself.

Instantly, an odd smell hit me, one that I’d never encountered before. It simply increased my ill-omened feeling and I grimaced. What was going on now? Surely, my life couldn’t get any more stressful? I’d hoped that with the capturing of Arthur, that everything would become normal, so to speak, again. That I’d at least lessen the strain somewhat.

When I glanced at Jord, his face was contorted with recognition and disgust. Raising an eyebrow, and starting to move forward when he refused to give me any clues, he held me back gently by the arm.

“I think that maybe it would be a good idea to leave it another couple of days before explaining things to your parents.” He had a sudden change of heart.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Why, what’s going on?” I demanded, knowing that he knew exactly what that smell was and that he didn’t want me to find out. “What’s that smell?”

He tried to look innocent. “What smell?”

I glared. “Don’t be an idiot.” I scolded, slapping him on the arm with the free hand that I had. “Tell me what the big deal is and I’ll leave with you.” I compromised.

“I don’t think you want to know.”

“Now I definitely want to know.”

He sighed, but still kept his mouth clamped shut. Rolling my eyes, I removed my arm from his grasp, continuing down the hallway and wrinkling my nose as the smell intensified. It wasn’t something pleasant, that was for certain.