The Battle: Part One

Awakening to the sound of my screen opening, I jump up, preparing for attack. Josh finally slides it open, complaining about sticky door tracks. "Let's go," he commands, handing me a small sling pack. Quietly, I follow him to the meal hall. Confused, I inquire, "Wait, what are we doing here?" Leaping over the serving counter, Josh answers, "Getting supplies." I place my hands on the smooth metal, and push up. Once behind the counter, I accompany him around the counter. Just beyond the turn, I see the rest of our squad gathered in front of a large refrigerator. Henry is passing out containers. Upon closer inspection, they hold a variety of fruits. I slip the slim box into my pack, along with three bottles of water. Chris hands everyone a Walkie Talkie, which we clip to the inside of our uniforms. After everything is distributed, the Eliminators form a circle, hands on each other's backs. Looking around at my comrades, I think how much I'll miss them. Chris, Henry, Rafael, Ben, Jack, and Phil. They all walked into my life so suddenly, and if we don't succeed they might walk out just as fast. Stop, I think to myself, you can't doubt yourself. "This is it, guys. Moment of truth. To make it out alive, we've gotta think like El Miedo, put their skills to the test. That's hard. So, I love all of you guys. Chris, if I die, you can have my old comics." Everyone laughs, then the circle starts pulsating. Up and down, like one of those cheesy football movies. After a couple minutes, the group breaks apart, and issues what might possibly be their last goodbyes.