Chapter 7: The Siren Mage Pt.2

All subway trains in Regnisque were programmed to travel to any city only within its continent. If one desired to travel between continents, teleport stations were widely available as were high speed aeroplanes for those with lesser fortune and wealth. It had taken all three by surprise when they found out they were to take a train from Tomsk to Rio de Janeiro.

"The Butterfly train," The security guard began to explain at seeing their puzzled expressions, "Is a train line for exclusive use of Regnisquian royalty and it's army."

Gaius smiled as he boarded the luxurious empty train. "Army? Royalty? Wow we sound important."

Eri and Illarion promptly followed as the train doors slowly closed behind them. Once out of the guard's earshot, Eri murmured as she took a seat next to Gaius,"We're not army, are we?"

"What?!" She heard Illarion exclaim roughly as he sat on the seat opposite them as if looking for further personal space. "You mean to tell me you don't know what you ARE?"

Eri looked down at Jin's train ticket still concealed within the envelope. "Jin nor The Director has given me any clue on why we are willingly letting them recruit us!" she replied venomously. She raised her eyes up to see Illarion's scowl opposite her, but neither gave no further response.

"Was that man supposed to come with us?" Gaius asked after a moments silence.

Eri sighed at the realisation she now had to step up as a somewhat substitute leader in Jin's absence. "Well yeah, I assume so. His ticket is with me though now...." she explained, her voice going quiet. There was only so much she could do now as Jin had indirectly directed them to the train station. All she could do was to wait until Rio de Janeiro and silently hope for the slightest clue to guide them further in their search and in their 'recruitment.'

Wanting to rid the air of silence, Eri turned to Gaius, ignoring Illarion completely. "So, falling from the sky? That's the story you're going to go with?"

He flashed a charming smile. "Yes, do you not believe me?"

"I most certainly do not." Eri muttered, rolling her eyes. However she didn't stop persisting for answers to her curiosity. "Where are you from? Or do you live on the forest floor?"

The silence floated back as Gaius recalled his memories from what appeared to be deep into his head as if he didn't know the answer himself. "Hmm...I guess I'm from....everywhere." He quickly looked towards Eri and raised an eyebrow. "Why do you want to know? Plan on stalking me?"

"No." Eri replied both bluntly and definitely, shuffling along the seat so she could face him better. "No I don't. Besides, you're stuck with us for a while."

Gaius sighed casually. "Stuck? Well then that's a shame." He spoke as though he had some grand plans that he would have to postpone because of the Director's orders, which added to Eri's overall curiosity towards the guy.

Not that she minded he had better things to do, as long as she no longer had to put up with the strange man who fell from the sky, but she knew that wouldn't be the case.

Without looking at Illarion, she turned her attention to him and muttered, "That goes for you too."

He leaned forward aggressively towards Eri. "What?! Do you think I will run away back to Tomsk where a bunch of werewolf idiots are wanting me to join them?! Hell no!" He growled angrily all of a sudden. "If I have to be stuck somewhere, I may as well be away from my own kind!"

Eri held back the desire to bite his head off. But instead, she cooled herself down in hopes that her ill-tempered werewolf counterpart would do so too. In fact, she was quite curious about him just as much as Gaius.