5 [Kiss]

🌺

Johnson tugs insistently on my arm, giving me a smile when I groan loudly.

"What do you have to tell me so bad?" I question.

"Cam's having a party at his house, okay? And we're all invited. Can you go with me, please?"

"I don't know Jack. Parties aren't really my thing."

Which is true. I've never been the kind of guy to go to parties and dance, let alone drink or have sex. I also hear that sometimes they have marijuana. That all just sounds too scary to me. I know Jack wants me to go so he can see his tall, tan lover, who is also named Jack. I sigh, thinking about it.

"Come on, Shawn. You know I'd be right by your side the whole time. And even if not, Luke will be there too. So will Taylor."

I feel my cheeks getting hot at the mention of his name. My brain has been nagging me about our awkward encounter from this morning, desperately trying to read the signals sent to me, but with no avail.

"Ugh fine. I'll go with you."

"Great. The party is Friday at like 8 so you can come over at 5 ish?"

"Alright. I'll be there."

<^><^><^><^><^>

I sit on the front steps of the school with Luke after classes end. Monday's through Thursday's we help out the music department by giving lessons to younger kids. It's really fun, and allows us to spend a lot of time together. Once Liz pulls up to the front, Luke takes shotgun and I sit in the back.

"Hey boys. How was school?" Liz chirps.

"It was fine, mum."

I chuckle at Luke's slightly grumpy attitude. He got a 76% on his science test so he's a little mad. My gaze turns to my window, where I can see all the cars parked into the parking lot. My eyes widen once the sight of two guys making out unfolds before me.

"Lukey, is that-"

He cuts off my question. "Ashton?"

Ashton is being pinned against his car door by a tall guy with very tan skin and multiple tattoos. His dark hair is held back by a beanie, and both of his ears are pierced. I remember him from Taylor's friend group. I think his name is Calvin or something. They are both aggressively making out, causing me to quickly shift my gaze. Liz is chuckling under her breath.

"Kids these days."

The rest of the ride is in silence except for the soft sounds of the radio humming through the car. I think I heard Luke sniffle, and I wonder if it's because of Ashton. They've been friends for a while now, but I don't think either of them have feelings for each other. Well obviously not if Ashton is sucking face with other guys.

From the moment we get inside, Luke strides up to his bedroom, me following closely behind him. He flops onto his bed, face first might I add, and let's out a long groan.

"What's the matter?" My tone is soft and concerning.

"Nothing, okay? I just didn't expect to see Ashton with that kind of guy. It was weird."

"Hey, he's a senior. Next year he'll be out into the real world. I think he's just trying to get a feel for who he's attracted to."

"Yeah, yeah I know. Wanna just practice now?"

I nod, picking up the acoustic guitar that I leave at Luke's. He picks up his, and we both strum a few chords to tune. I begin to play the intro as Luke takes the first verse.